1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Creativity Off The Hizzy Yo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cody, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Cody

Cody

With the build mode no longer being an executioner who is waiting to lop my head off into a basket any minute I find that a new creative side in me is flourishing. I am getting experimental and creative. With Sims 3 I stayed to a rather standard protocol and refrained from being adventurous. With Sims 4 this is no longer true. I wanted to create a control center for my rocket but did not know if it would work/how it would look. With the simple tools of Sims 4 build mode I was able to reshape it until it looked right without the taxing pace of Sims 3. You know the one where you essentially had to bulldoze an entire structure then start over again....yeah no thank you. With Sims 3 I only saw the end goal which was finishing a building. The process in between was not really enjoyable. In Sims 4 it is quite the opposite, I in a way feel sad when a build is over. I have so much fun playing around and experimenting that when it comes to an end I let out a quiet sigh.

I have no idea where I was really going with this but I would like to extend a massive thank you to the Sims Team for creating a build mode that is actually enjoyable.
    yyyy.jpg

benji_br and thatsimsgirl like this.
  2. Cody

Cody

FYI the control center is behind the rocket and also do not judge me the build is not finished :p I only complete the exterior. Furthermore I am not able to download lots up to the gallery o_O my game goes all haywire. Have no idea what that is but will hope to iron out that wrinkle sheet soon.

3. thatsimsgirl

thatsimsgirl Site Supporter

Looks great! I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like! I love the attention to detail, like the fountains outside! It adds a really nice touch! I love the colour scheme you used as well - it gives it a real industrial feel!

Lol, wish I could say the same about my experience of build mode. If anything, it's the total opposite to yours! :p I find myself getting immensely frustrated; like my hands have been tied behind my back, and often go back to TS3 building. The way flooring works just... omg, it irks me! Like, not being able to delete a single floor tile? That's just not helpful to anyone! If I want to delete floor tiles, I should be able to take the sledgehammer to them, and boom, they're gone! But no, I have to build a freakin' 1x1 room around the specific floor tile that I want deleted, remove the floor from that room, remove the walls from that room... Sorry devs, but that's just NOT an easier way to do things! :mad:

4. Cody

Cody

There are defiantly some odd quirks but I have quickly adjusted to it and while it would be faster to be able to delete one tile it only takes me a couple of seconds to build a one by one room. It is really weird I used to make TONS of mistakes when building in Sims 3 like misplacing a tile or this or that but in Sims 4 I have no mishaps so I do not really encounter the odd choices that have been made like going back to the one tile. Hopefully they can fix some of these quirks in the future so you can enjoy it too :D! I guess I never thought about it but the tools may be more fitted to a certain building style and for some it may be less enjoyable for it is like a latex glove in one size. The way I build is rather erratic and without a goal. I have no end vision of what I would like to create. I start off with a single feature that I would like and I vision just that section in my mind. Then the rest of the house falls around that feature and in a way I let it build itself if that makes any sense? See I really love the view across the street from that large expanse of windows and I wanted to be able to see it frequently without going outside. I thought how about a really tall room with tons of windows. I did not think living room or about anything else. Then from there I begin experimenting with shapes and random ideas hit me like putting that wing on the side to balance the large box shape of the main house. Rinse and repeat, over and over. I always start with the exterior then build inwards. It is kind of a domino effect and it happens rather quickly. Built the room with large windows-need to balance that out so I built that wing on the side of the house. Rocket looks odd sitting in the middle of an open space.....create something to balance that and compliments the first two things. I will get more pictures up later of the exterior :)!

Also thank you ^_^! It does look industrial which was not the look I was going for because I was not going for a look. It just happened because of balancing out colors, textures, etc.!

5. Cody

Cody

Barns Nobley lived but in a rickity old shed that was far from being reflective of his stellar performance in the astronaut field that was making him climb the ranks quickly. A nice affordable house was far from his reach if he chose to save up so he decided to take out a loan from Motherlode Loan Company. He borrowed 50k and began having his house built. While the exterior and interior are finished his house still needs to be furnished. He did not have enough money left over from his loan so he will be putting his check forth to buy the remaining items on his checklist like artwork. (Fyi I still have to do some landscaping for example see the trees they need a little splash of brown underneath them ^_^!) Mr. Nobley is not looking forward to paying that money back *sigh*.
    Modern 1.jpg Modern 2.jpg Modern 3.jpg

6. Cody

Cody

7. benji_br

benji_br

Love your color choices. I do miss Create a Style, but I like the colors and patterns they gave us. That purple and that yellow go great together in houses.

Cody likes this.
  8. thatsimsgirl

thatsimsgirl Site Supporter

Wow, that really looks good! Awesome work right there!

Cody likes this.
  9. Cody

Cody

Ah thank you all ^_^! I thankfully have not missed CAST to much. With Sims 3 many times the colors, wood tones, etc. looked odd unless you found the right hue/texture combination. I spent so much time making things look correct with CAST that I am relieved that colors/textures look great from the get go. For a selfish reason I am glad CAST is gone because I would probably spend time trying to make color decisions. I have no power to say no but with this current system I am laid out my choices lol.

10. elsing

elsing

That kitchen is fab.

LOL You defiantly have very creative lots @Cody. And it's not just you, there are some amazingly creative lots on the gallery, I can see other players feel the same.
    What I love about Sims 4 is how easy it is to share my builds. In all my years of simming I have never shared anything and now I share so much, it's crazy to think people are downloading my lots and actually using them in their game. I also love how they have taken care of the finishing touches for a build, like including frieze options.

I've always been slightly gaga for build mode so in general I'm finding things a little bit too restrictive, It almost feels like it's been over simplified at the expense of those who enjoy getting their hands a bit dirty. As for CAST I'm still sorely missing this feature. Sometime I don't want windows that have a white inside frame and brown outside. I want fully white. I want black or a shade of blue that had a metallic edge to it with a hit of pink in the highlights. I'm not saying CAST couldn't have been improved but it's main flaws where down to the user experience design and that could easily be sorted out.

I do defiantly feel sad when a build is over just like you, it's not so bad now I know it is getting shared and used.

Cody likes this.