1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Do It Yourself: Story Progression

Discussion in 'Guides and Tutorials' started by DerMonarch, Sep 6, 2014.

1. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

Attention: Do not use this tutorial for families you care about! The changed relationships that I thought to be caused by editing the age while using 'cas.fulleditmode' is a common bug! The developers know about this bug and will hopefully fix it soon. I will update this thread as soon as they've taken care about this issue. You can still use the cheat without any major problems, but it can change the relationships between family members!

Going back to a somewhat closed world, Sims 4 does not come with a Story Progression option. What does that mean? It means that the life of other Sims around your own household won't progress or change unless you decide to play them yourself for a while. Sims will age and die, but won't live their own lives.
    Now this is not a big problem for players who like to play rotational and want to control everything that happens in their game, but if you'd rather concentrate on your own household, it would have been interesting to see your neighbors evolve.

Luckily Sims 4 comes with a great new feature called Manage Households. This tool allows you to move, merge, and edit every household in your game via a simple UI without any loading times. Today I want to show you how to use Manage Worlds to make an inactive household have a child without forcing you to actually play the household.

First of all we have to open up Manage Worlds, the Sims 4 counterpart to Edit Town in Sims 3.

[​IMG]

Before we open up Manage Households, we have to activate two simple cheats that will allow us to edit every aspect of the household in CAS. To open up the cheat console, press Ctrl + Shift + C on your keyboard. Now enter the first cheat testingcheats true and hit Enter. After that enter the next cheat cas.fulleditmode and hit Enter again.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now we are ready to open up Manage Households. You'll find the tool in the upper right corner of Manage Worlds.

[​IMG]

Manage Households will show you every household that lives in your current save file, devided by played/unplayed households and worlds.

[​IMG]

Now you'll just have to find the household you want to change and select the Edit button. By doing this you will enter CAS. Normally you would only be able to change clothes, hair styles and make-up by choosing this path, but the cheats we entered earlier will open up the whole CAS for you.

[​IMG]

From here on you can do whatever you want to the chosen household. Change how they look, remove a family member, change a family member's gender, add in a new family member, change relationships and so on.
    This method will allow you to turn inactive Sims into relatives or get them married. But for our example we will use the Genetics tool to create a child for our married couple.
    (This is not only possible with inactive households. Manage Worlds will also allow you to add family members to your own household to tell stories like 'My Sim's parents and sister just moved into town.' by placing them into the world, merging the two households, setting their relationships via CAS and then devide them into seperate households again.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now you'll just have to check if all relationships are set properly and press Play to return to Manage Households.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here we go! The Christopher family has a child now that will continue to live in your world and grow old alongside your Sims.

[​IMG]

Combining Manage Households with CAS allows you to let your worlds progress in a matter of a few minutes without having to play different households. Everything the Sims 3 Story Progression could do on its own can be recreated in a relatively short amount time via this tool. Not only can you edit every household living in your worlds but also all the Townies the game spawns into community lots from time to time. You've also got the possibility to make those Townies actual neighbors by simply selecting them to move into an empty lot or merge them with another household.
    Editing a family this way, by using cheats to use the full CAS, will not reset a Sim's age like it did in Sims 3.

One recommendation for everyone, even those who do not plan on using this way of simulating some kind of progression: The game seems to spawn A LOT of those Townies if you play for a while, even when your worlds are fully populated. I have not had any problems because of this yet but I can imagine that this many homeless Sims can cause major performance issues sooner or later. I would suggest using Manage Worlds from time to time to delete Townies. Sadly, you can only delete one household after the other, so this will take some time, but in the end I can see doing this every few play sessions, improving overall performance for multi-generational save files greatly.

2. TheAllu

TheAllu

Thank you so so much for this tip!

Naninasims likes this.
  3. doll

doll

Thank you SO so much for this, I wouldn't of even guessed and I just realized there is absolutely no children in my game.

You're amazing for the guide~

Naninasims likes this.
  4. Taffy550

Taffy550

Thanks you for this. Now if there was a cheat to make friends that would also be helpful. My poor sim is having a heck of time. :)

Naninasims likes this.
  5. Celenie

Celenie

Hey just found out today that this cheat exists and works, open the cheat console and type "testingcheat true" then type
    "modifyrelationship YourSimFirst YourSimLast TargetSimFirst TargetSimLast (-)amount Track_type"

example: modifyrelationship Kitty Malloy Celene Murphy 100 friendship_main
    or
    modifyrelationship Kitty Malloy Celene Murphy 100 romance_main

relationship values go from 0-100

enjoy x

TheAllu and Naninasims like this.
  6. Celiria

Celiria

One thing that worries me about this method. In Sims 3 taking a sim into CAS through cheats caused their age to reset. Is this still an issue in Sims 4 because if it is then this would throw off aging for your town.

For example say there is a couple who are 2 days from aging from young adult to adult and you take them into CAS to give them a child, suddenly afterwards they are at the beginning their life stage again which on normal would add 18 days to their lives.

Naninasims likes this.
  7. QuanishaJenkins

QuanishaJenkins

TY so much, went in a replaced every last sim in there with ones I had downloaded :) luv it!!!

Naninasims likes this.
  8. Naninasims

Naninasims

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you!
    I still wait for Story Progression mod, but this will help me alot while i'm waiting for it!
    Again, thank you for all your support! ^^

If you don't mind, I shared this in the topic I created on The Sims 4 forums, which people wants also Story Progression Mod, hope this will helps someone!
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770298/story-progression/p4

9. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

Oh, I just realized, I made a mistake in that sentence, but yeah, that one in red was supposed to say that this does not happen anymore, unlike back in Sims 3. However, don't change the ages of any Sim with relationships while in CAS, because when I tried it, it completely messed up their relationships and locked them. I wasn't able to change them back by going into the game and back into CAS again. So, as long as you don't fiddle around with the ages you should be fine.

10. Celiria

Celiria

Awesome, thanks for the info :)