1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else feel like blurring breastfeeding is sending a bad message?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Royal, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Royal

Royal

The Sims blurs things that shouldn't be seen - going to the bathroom, showering, streaking. Breastfeeding is something that is (or at least should be...) entirely socially acceptable. I understand that a breast and all its parts really shouldn't be a drawn and coded part of a teen rated game, but there are definitely ways around the blur to make it seem less taboo.

I think it would be adorable if the mother pulled out a blanket and covered the baby's head and her chest with it. It's common for women to do when out in public and sometimes even at home, so it would be more realistic and just a better idea all around. It wouldn't be nearly as hard to do as a lot of updates they've given us before, but if they were to give it to us it would be when they release a family EP.

robi393 likes this.
  2. Esnes Nommoc

Esnes Nommoc

When female Sims shower, their breasts are shown, and they got blurred. When female Sims breastfeed their child, their breasts are shown, and....
    Maybe, but your idea might be sending a bad message too. :kissing: Like, woman must cover their breasts when they breastfeed their child.
    I would rather they blur the breastfeeding. You can't see it, but other Sims can see female Sims breastfeeding their child and they act like nothing shocking is happening, which is great! That might send a better message in my opinion. :grin:
    It all depends on perspective. :)

bshag4lv, TheAllu and uhleeshuh like this.
  3. Royal

Royal

I do love that Sims walk around them and don't get embarrassed or anything. That's a major plus IMO! I don't think putting a blanket over it is really "covering" because it's still obvious what's happening and it's sort of in a different category of censoring than blurs. Also, many women are still very pro-breastfeeding but still cover themselves with a blanket because it's still a breast. Either way, they really have made leaps and bounds by putting breastfeeding into the game at all!

bshag4lv likes this.
  4. uhleeshuh

uhleeshuh

I think the fact that breast feeding as an option is enough.
    Putting a blanket over a breastfeeding baby is the same as blurring. You still know what is going on under the blur, just like you would if it the action was covered with a blanket.
    The only difference between blanket and blur, is that don't get to see a big blur you get to see a big blanket- which would make for better pictures I guess?
    I don't find breastfeeding in public taboo mind you, I just feel that for a game like this who really cares? I mean really? When feminists go rally they're not going to mention [EDIT] The Sims 4 "shaming" the act of breastfeeding (Especially when there are PLENTY of other games out there that do worse IMO). But thanks for putting the idea out there.
    Also, I believe there is a mod out there you can get that gets rid of the blurs anyway.
    All in all I absolutely do not feel blurring breastfeeding in this game is sending a bad message. Now if in the game they had babies die from breastfeeding only for an advertisement for Enfamil pop up- then THAT would be a bad message.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    bshag4lv likes this.
  5. Esnes Nommoc

Esnes Nommoc

I laughed so much at the end. :D

uhleeshuh likes this.
  6. Kerantli

Kerantli

Under the blur the top doesn't move, and it's essentially just the baby smooshed into the mothers breast.

7. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

I don't think it's sending a bad massage. Thing is, this topic can cause huge discussions. If they were to do it the way you suggested, someone somewhere would ultimately throw a fuss. The Sims has a tradition of censoring all (theoretical) nudity, so it makes more sense to treat breastfeeding just as natural as showering, bathing, etc. and blur it out instead of treating it as something special. And if someone still complains about it, they can just play the 'we've always done it that way' card.
    That said, I'd wish that a topic like this wouldn't be so difficult, because it's a very simple topic in my opinion. Something that benefits the health of a child should never be treated like a taboo, just because some bigots feel uncomfortable when they see a female breast...

Meka3514 likes this.
  8. JohnBigOz

JohnBigOz

I think the blurring is more of a solution than a message.

Like other people said

When sims pee, shower, do it, etc. nothing is actually happening, it's more of a "cover" because of the engine's limitations.

The fact is they have breast-feeding in the first place, the first time ever in a Sims game, I'd say that's sending a message itself.

bshag4lv likes this.
  9. thatsimsgirl

thatsimsgirl Site Supporter

Honestly, I don't even use that option. I play with the no mosaic mod (because come on, the game doesn't NEED one - they look like freakin' naked barbies, that's all! :p). So to have the breastfeeding action... yeah, it just looks dumb. There was a CC breastfeeding tank top in TS3... I can't remember who made it, but it was pink, and there were 2 versions of it, normal, and with one side pulled down. That combined with the pose player, made for some really nice/artistic shots. Hoping someone creates another top like that somewhere down the line.

10. Jarron

Jarron

I don't find breastfeeding in public taboo either, but there are times you don't want to have boobs flashed in your face- at funerals and, I think, a game is another- there's no reason to see them in the game, it is just enough that they have the option.