1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

First Impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cody, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Cody

Cody

Today I was able to play Sims 4 at a friends house while she was at work and while there is already a hundred reviews I thought I would just throw out my five cents :)! This is not a review for there is already a hundred of those and I frankly would type a novel to rival the page amount of a dictionary.

I will start of by saying I am actually rather impressed and I am optimistic for the future that lies ahead of Sims 4. This may be a premature bold statement but this could be the next Sims 2 that everyone hails. The game is very rich and beautiful overflowing with minute detail to strike awe into those who are willing to give the game a chance. Sims 4 really does recapture the essence of what The Sims is that Sims 3 seemed to tread away from. I was one of those who questioned what was The Sims team doing with their time and my question was answered when I began playing the game. The amount of detail and labor that went into crafting the game is STAGGERING. There are so many aspects like from the detailed shadowing that a Sim casts when the day is drawing to an end, the glow of the burner when a sim cooks, or the fireflies that come out by the river. The dust that billows across the road in Oasis Springs or the ambiance of insects in Willow Creek. These tiny things work together in tandem to create an atmospheric rich environment that gives greater immersion. Everything is beautiful and a feast for the eyes. I often found myself with Sims 3 trying to instill life into the rather bland world/lots and while it was feasible it required a tremendous amount of effort. I found myself spending more time in build/buy mode to create buildings that had life than I actually did playing the game. I felt the need to rebuild what was given to us. Not with Sims 4, the lots are beautiful and are detailed. Things are laid out expertly from the dining tables to the bars. Lots feel like how they should from the outside to the inside. This makes it more fun to play. When I go to the library it feels like a library I almost feel the need to stay quiet. Or when I go to the bar I become excited and actually think about how my sim is going to have a good time.

New aspects like the emotion system gives the game more than just a pretty coat of paint, it gives a new refreshing starting point. By no means profound the new emotion system does add a new edge to The Sims without being intrusive or changing the core ideal of the game. I like that emotional states give me something to work towards. It makes it feel more challenging and gives me a richer gameplay experience. An example of this is a sim who I made a painter. In Sims 3 beyond their traits effecting the art style a Sim would just go paint almost no matter what for they did not feel anything. That is not how it is in real life. Painting is complex with works being driven by emotion and not just positive ones either. I like the added element of it no longer being just going to the easel. I need to work at driving my sim/taking advantage of their emotions to create better art pieces. From having them take a thought provoking shower to induce inspiration or seeing to it that they paint after having come by an emotion naturally like confidence. The emotion system adds a needed edge of complexity and life to the sim characters.

To say Sims 4 is the perfect game is a large stretch. It does have flaws but the pros outweigh the cons big time. Things that I was worried about like the lack of an open world were washed out to sea as I became swept up with Sims 4. It is hard to properly express this without it being confusing but for what Sims 4 is not broad it makes up for in depth. The features are rich and while the game is defiantly limited in what one can do there is GREAT PROMISE. This is not to say the base game alone is not fantastic but if you are a Sim addict like myself you will think to yourself "Wowsers this content IS AMAZING CAN YOU IMAGINE THE EXPANSION PACKS?!". If I was to give the game a rating it would be 8/10 for everything just coalesces into a masterpiece that evokes physical feelings on my end. When a game is able to do that then I can say it is without a doubt a good game. Games despite being a world apart from us are meant to draw us in and create a link. To instill emotions like anticipation and excitement. Sims 4 does that for me.

2. Cody

Cody

Picture time :D! Like 4 cereals the buildings are beautimous! The first lot I visited was the art gallery and I may of been flopping in my chair with a river of white foam sliding down my face. It was is so beautiful!

Attached Files:

• art.jpg
      art.jpg
      File size:
      170.6 KB
      Views:
    uhleeshuh likes this.
  3. SimsVIP

SimsVIP Staff Member

You basically took the jumbled words out of my mind and made sense of them. :handok:

4. Cody

Cody

Aw thank you ^_^! And here to think EA was giving us a heart attack when they were hiding such a great game. Making us fans all cray cray and ready to shank someone over our precious baby lol.