1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. SimsVIP will be undergoing scheduled server maintenance on December 10, 2016 from 12:01AM Central Time (-6 GMT) until 1:01AM Central Time. During this time, SimsVIP will be offline while crucial server maintenance is performed. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting real with Get Together

Discussion in 'The Sims 4 Get Together' started by benji_br, Oct 8, 2015.

1. benji_br

benji_br

(Disclaimer: This is a hate-free thread. Please understand these are words from an avid The Sims fan who is looking forward to this EP)

So they announced they're delaying the release of Get Together in a whole month (it was expected to arrive at November 11th, now it's officialy December 8th). And I have mixed feelings about this.

Part of me agrees that they should take their time to make sure what they're giving us is the best experience possible. But then I can't help but think they are sensing how suspicious most Sims fans are nowadays, myself included.

Ever since the Get Together announcement, I've been trying to be optimistic about it, always looking at the bright side and supporting the series. But I admit that after that infamous Rachel Franklin interview, I was a bit turned off by the game altogether (I haven't played it since!). And I know I'm not alone in this. It's the first time I come to the forums to talk about it, but I've been watching closely how many people feel about the game. Though I don't always agree with their complaints, I can relate to how they feel.

Now I also say this as someone who writes press releases for a living, so I can somewhat read into what may be the scenario behind this announcement. And I sense fear from the team. They know the unrest and they undestand that the only way we'll be pleased is if Get Together is nothing but absolutely fantastic. And this is a good thing for us as players, because we'll get a better product in the end.

But what if the team is working under such pressure and fear that they are also feeling turned off like some of us are? There seemed to be a level of enthusiasm with TS3 (even with all its flaws) that I just don't see in TS4 anymore. And I don't know what could come out of this.

I've been a part of this community for over a decade and I know how The Sims fans can be aggressive and annoying, and I try my best to encourage the team. So it was a sad realization when all I could think of while reading the announcement yesterday was "well, this better be effing great".

I still have high hopes for TS4 and I can't wait to be surprised by Get Together. Even though maybe I should just lower my expectations.

ShaylaJ, AquaSimmer and Harry like this.
  2. Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

I thing ther do ther best! i mean i like the idea behinde the pack but at the same time i thing Get to worke IS good but the police carrer is totaly buggy ( the only thing i complain about everything aelse in expension pack NO 1 is realy good) but it missed some freetime stuff for our sims todo! Thats why i will totaly get this expension and i thing ther will add so many tiny fretures to it like new bourdgames new ingame interactions and stuff

benji_br likes this.
  3. benji_br

benji_br

I know and I like those features, but the overall aspect of the EP lacks a certain immediate impact, or surprise, or even understanding of it. Think of the series as a whole. You have pets EPs, seasons, supernatural, futuristic and now an EP that promotes a new group dynamics so sims will enjoy all these minor activities.

I don't remember who first said it, and I totally agree, that it's frustrating that one of the key features of an expansion pack should be "closets".

And this is why they have to be extra careful with Get Together.

But then again, my main point is that I fear that this unrest from the players is starting to build way too much pressure on the developers. I want to be enthusiastic about it, but it's hard. I hope it won't be this hard for them.

AquaSimmer and Harry like this.
  4. Harry

Harry

I agree with you. I used to be very happy (if slightly disappointed) with the way the sims 4 was going. But with the Get Together announcement and the RF interview, I too have stopped really playing the game. It's so hard to play when the team developing the game is blatantly ignoring the way you play to focus solely on other play styles. I'm still not very excited for Get Together and I already have very low expectations for it. I just wish the team was more open and communicative with us and that they would develop content they know fans have been literally begging for (toddlers, terian tools, create a world etc.) but they seem bent on only following their 'vision' which is not making for a good sims game.
    I don't want to feel like this but I can't help it, they have seemingly cut me off because I choose to play with families only and that's not what this life simulator is about :(

AquaSimmer and benji_br like this.
  5. benji_br

benji_br

Exactly.

6. Kit

Kit Mommy Mode Staff Member

I'm a family player and I couldn't be more excited about Get Together. Specifically playing with a Girl Scout group with den mothers, going on camping trips to Granite Falls, and learning to fish! I think too many people are not understanding the intense possibilities of adding clubs to the game and saying it's "party" focused. Yeah, they advertised it like that at first... but reading the facts, I honestly don't see anything 'party' about it. Sure, you can make a club to dance and party, but I really don't see why anyone would do that if they don't like partying that much.

That being said, it bothered me that they made an announcement date then delayed it. But meh, I can understand a delay. Even if it saddens me. I don't really have any opinion about the Sims team more than I usually have. A delayed game doesn't change my excitement anything more than expecting more out of it than initially thought. Recently, another game I enjoyed pre-release was delayed an extra month. It happens.

ShaylaJ, Misawa and benji_br like this.
  7. benji_br

benji_br

Hey, @Kit , that's why I said I disagree with many of the complaints. I totall see what you mean by the possibilities (I have not forgotten I was the one who started that one thread =P ) and this is why I'm looking forward to play it (I'll try my best to have at least one day off in the next following days to the release so I'll get to quench my thirst!).

Still, I have to fight this feeling of frustration not only because of the delay itself, but because it feels like every little disappointment adds up to this. I want to be excited like I was for every previous EP (even Into the Future, which I barely played), but I'm just not.

8. Kit

Kit Mommy Mode Staff Member

@benji_br Everyone deserves to have an opinion and I feel like it's my job to make sure people are informed. And it's fine to be disappointed! It could be that the content is being released at a rate that desensitizes us to something new for the game. To me, I like it, but some people don't. It might also be that we've grown older and have different perspectives on the game itself. It could be that they are lackluster to our specific niches. I don't believe it's due to lack of content. I'd have to do a side by side comparison of TS3 expansions to TS4 expansions for confirmation of that either way.

I believe that if The Sims team is seeming less enthusiastic about The Sims 4, perhaps it's been due to the reception. An interview stated very plainly that it was like people saying they didn't like your new baby. To compare a project to a baby means they obviously cared so much about it to create it. Even if it didn't turn out the way they wanted (such as a complicated birth) it's clear that they're going to love the time and effort put into it. People have been outright cruel to them, threatening them and telling them they don't deserve their jobs. Saying their baby is ugly and that they need to make another to replace it instead. I understand the need for constructive criticism, but just looking at the "feedback", I don't blame them if they feel disheartened.

I could be completely wrong and they aren't feeling attacked at all. I don't assume to know their feelings, only what they state publicly.

Misawa and benji_br like this.
  9. benji_br

benji_br

@Kit , those people make me ashamed of being part of the simming community! That's an absurd thing to say to someone - it really saddens me that we live under hate culture on the web.

And yes, I was wondering that myself, if maybe it's just that we're growing older. Let's see what they have in store for us, starting with Get Together.

10. Mitchi32

Mitchi32

I understand how you're feeling @benji_br , and I have felt this way as well, but one of the reasons I'm loving TS4 and the direction they're taking it, especially with GT, is I'm looking at it as they're trying to enhance the base game, not simply add new objects or make EPs that people expect because it's The Sims.

The EP initially was meh to me, but I started to look at the club aspect and read more information and how valuable the EP is, completely depends on the how the player uses it. Like @Kit said, I don't look at it as a party EP at all. I constantly struggle with relationships in the game... I'm so focused on my current family and getting them to like each other, and get their skills up and stuff that any friends they had as a single person are completely gone by the time their child becomes a teenager. And my kids usually have one friend because they're so busy! I love the fact that my bookworm mom can meet up with her friends every Saturday morning and do things that are important to her. And that I can customize that for each of my sims.

It's completely new, and it's something that I'm hoping will help me grow as a player. I'm way happier with this than if they had released a Night Life, or Date Night EP.

I do feel that there is added pressure to the team, and it makes me really sad as well. Personally, if it was me and I was putting in all that work, and loved what it added to the game, and my bosses loved it and so on, then I hope that they are happy and proud of that. Nobody, no matter what your job is, is going to keep all of their customers happy. It's even harder when your product is worldwide, with millions of customers.

Misawa, AquaSimmer, Kit and 1 other person like this.