1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone done this yet....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rye_encoke, Sep 27, 2014.

1. rye_encoke

rye_encoke

....completely demolished all lots in both towns and rebuilt both towns up from scratch?

I was thinking I might give it a go at some point but was also thinking it would be kind of an interesting community project for SimsVIP.

The way it would work is that everyone could contribute some lots. SimsVIP would have to figure out how many of each type of lot they wanted in the community...either the mods here or by some sort of vote if they want to open it up for everyone to decide.

There are a large number of lots to build and a fair number of "official" lot types:

residential
    bar
    gym
    library
    lounge
    museum
    night club
    park

however there are also "unnofficial" type lots that could be included....clubhouse, cafe, internet cafe and so on...
    same with residential, they could be broken down into basic (under 20k), mid (20k-50k), upper (50k-100k) and rich (100k+)

The final decision on what would be included in the total rebuild would be SimsVIP mods but taking into consideration a community vote.

Each person who wanted to contribute would have to ask for a lot type and size, again depending on how the town was decided to be built. We can't have everyone building lots that are 30 x 20. So if I wanted to do a residential I would ask to build a lot and be given a size. Same with the other lots. Park might all have to be one size or maybe there would be several smaller parks instead of just two big ones. Same with all commercial lots. So this would need to be decided before build assignments were handed out.

Other things that might need to be taken into consideration are things like how many floors each lot would allow. Also type or style of window, what kind of siding or coloring the outside of buildings are allowed to have and so on. This would be to ensure that the town looks good and maintains a commonality. Can't have one house with all double size windows and pink siding, while another has purple brick with tiny windows.

When everything was decided the layout would be given and we would use the winning lots from the #simsvip gallery and voila, we have our very own SimsVIP town. Even a dozen premade families that would be contributed and voted on could be included.

Just a random thought I had. It would be a big job to get it all done right. People would have to be willing to stay within the rules and guidelines for building. People would also have to be willing to take what they are given as far as lots. Also, lots would have to be uploaded as #simsvip, but then SimsVIP would have to reupload them as their own lots to ensure that lots that have been finalized as part of the town always remain available.

I thought of this mostly because I was pining over the loss of Sims 3 and Union Cove, basically a custom built world over on Carl's Sims. I played that town more than any other town.

Cody and benji_br like this.
  2. uhleeshuh

uhleeshuh

Wow! This sounds fun. What about an overall theme of the world- like Victorian, Southern, Urban, Futuristic, Ancient, etc.?
    Also wth is all this #?? Like when you upload something you have to title it #simsvip? So the name of the lot would have to be #simsvip?
    Idk!!

benji_br likes this.
  3. rye_encoke

rye_encoke

if you upload something, in the description put a hashtag and then when people search the gallery under hashtags they can find stuff

so if you were describing a house it would go like this:

A young artist's retreat, bare walls just waiting for your own paintings. #SimsVIP

then you upload it and people can still find it just by the normal ways of searching or browsing, but if you specifically search for the hashtag SimsVIP, then it will pull it up plus any others with that hashtag. For example you can search for #artist and pull up tons of stuff, also #lgbt will pull up all kinds of same sex pairing families.

4. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

This is a very interesting idea! Let me just send a short tweet over to @SimsVIP, so Alexis can have a look at your idea. It would probably require a lot of effort and time, but if enough people want to perticipate, a project like that could turn out quite nicely. I would most certainly enjoy creating a few families for a project like that, too.

benji_br likes this.
  5. rye_encoke

rye_encoke

I agree that it would be fun and the end result would be something everyone could be proud of, even if nothing they create ends up in the final construct, just the fun of participating.

However.....BIG however...you nailed it right. This would require a LOT of time and effort on the part of someone directly related to the SimsVIP site as it would end up being the property of the site and bear the name of the site. Definitely not something to be taken lightly and once it is considered how much planning has to go into it, as well as evaluating every entry and then sending it back to the creator for changes and so on and so on. I have no idea how long Carls Sims took to end up with Union Cove, and even though this world would be much smaller, the amount of time that would be needed by the...let's call them the Manager....would be tremendous.

So if nobody wants to take up this project, I would fully understand why. For those of us who would simply submitting creations, our time into it is very small. For whoever manages the project, the time sink would be tremendous. Some of that time could be lessened by asking for suggestions on the initial layout of the town, finding out what people want. But again, final say ends up with SimsVIP.

6. benji_br

benji_br

7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Ninja Staff Member

While I think the general consensus is that this is going to happen, the better question is what are the technical requirements we need to do to support this project in an organized fashion?

benji_br likes this.
  8. SimsVIP

SimsVIP Staff Member

I'm down for this. :)

I do want to say this right off the bat: I cannot currently (actively) commit to a project this large as I'm knee deep in guides, but I'm all for allowing you @rye_encoke to head the project and organize it. If you get all the "details" together, I can also promote the project on SimsVIP.com to help bring over even more creators. I will help organize the final result and upload lots and such to the gallery.

Finally, what @ManagerJosh asked. What are the requirements for this type of project?

benji_br likes this.
  9. Pyziulka

Pyziulka

I love this idea! Unfortunately I will not have time to take part in it - except maybe small starter home. It all depends of how much time we would have.

10. rye_encoke

rye_encoke

Let me take a few days to work out what needs to be done and how I would approach it and then see if this is something I can commit to. My time is very limited and I am just not sure that I can do this. If this had been last year there would have been no problem but this year I just don't know that I will have anywhere near the time to put into this project. What might happen is that the idea be shelved for a bit, maybe til the new year, and we can take a look at it then. Currently I am at home basically to sleep and eat breakfast and dinner...the rest is spent elsewhere looking after a family member.

Again let me see what I can put together as to a structure on how to do this and I will go from there.

uhleeshuh likes this.