1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Love the game, I really do, but...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benji_br, Sep 3, 2014.

1. benji_br

benji_br

I had a blast trying out TS4, but I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of the new career system.

I know I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but here's why it still haven't won me over:

1. Some of the tasks are really, really random. I wanted my sim to be a successful mixologist, but at one point she would only advance in the career if she made an excellent grilled cheese sandwich (since it's mixed with the culinary career until some point). Though I know this reinforces the silliness and quirkiness of the game (which I love btw), sometimes it feels like that's unnecessary. Which leads to my second point...

2. Like many others have been saying, I'm not a fan of the new careers themselves. I personally love the new artistic ones (and relate to them a lot, actually), but it feels like having a whole neighborhood of artists, astronauts and criminals is a bit too unrealistic. I miss the business, medical and politician careers and I'm sure they will be a great inclusion when they finally come.

3. (And this is, I gotta say, the only one of these three that really makes me frown) Socializing at work does not result in making new friendships. This was one of my favorite things in TS3 and now it feels like they're working by themselves, even when you choose to socialize with co-workers.

And as I typed it, I just realized the same thing may apply to schools. So suddenly, this became my very first request for a future patch or even EP, that we may make friends at work and school. I know more career options will come eventually, but the people you work with and go to school with end up being a huge part of your life. Why not have it in the game as well?

What do you guys think?

2. jamie298

jamie298

i really cant stand the careers, i cant say how much i hate them. it more annoying than all the sims 3 bugs put together, for me anyway.

3. simb0t

simb0t

So far, I have a love/hate thing with the careers.

I actually like that you need certain relevant daily tasks completed to level up (like programming 4 hours in tech, etc). Sometimes they may not make complete sense (such as Mixology and Grilled Cheese...unless, bar food?), but I think with the limited careers/interactions they work out okay.

And, yes, I agree that we need more "regular" careers pronto.

4. benji_br

benji_br

Yeah, but what about relationships and socializing?

My sim came home with a moodlet that said she had an argument with someone at work or something, I can't recall exactly what it was, but other than that there was no impact in her life whatsoever.

Going to work and school is also about people. So is The Sims, I guess.

bluebythebook likes this.
  5. bluebythebook

bluebythebook

I have the same frustrations! My Sim came home embarrassed from a work interaction, but I had no idea why. What's the point of ~emotions~ if there's no substance to them?

I really don't care for rabbithole careers. I prefer careers where I do something, like the alchemy career, the ghost hunter career, nectar maker career, etc. The home activities are going to have to suffice for now, I suppose.

benji_br likes this.
  6. uhleeshuh

uhleeshuh

It didn't tell you why they were embarrassed when you hovered over the embarrassed moodlet?
    My teen came home tense and the moodlet told me it was because of their classmates slacking on a project they all were working on together.

7. uhleeshuh

uhleeshuh

I will agree and disagree.
    I do agree that it upsets me a little on the inside that my sims don't make any new friends when socializing with coworkers or school mates, but like you guys have said hopefully they will patch this.

However, I do love the new work involvement a lot! It adds more depth for it to me.
    Through this new work system I could see why they didn't add "regular" jobs because what tasks would they be given to come home to? If making grilled cheese is upsetting, think about what tasks would be given for a sim in the medical career as a bed pan cleaner lol
    I get your point and I do hope to see more careers, but for the sake of having more of a choice than to be more realistic.

I work at Walmart. I don't want realistic.

benji_br likes this.
  8. bluebythebook

bluebythebook

It just said something very vague, like, "Alex said something really embarrassing in front of her coworkers." Well... okay then. I'd like it more if we had more chance cards, a la Sims 2, and these emotions we came home with correlated to the outcome of the chance card. The chance card would have more weight and your work day would feel more productive than you (the player) sitting there waiting for the Sim clock to speed up to n o'clock.

benji_br likes this.
  9. bluebythebook

bluebythebook

I hear ya. I get that people want the security aspects of the policeman and fireman, but if the need is eliminated then the need for the job is eliminated. I like the fun jobs. The Sims is all about escapism. I just wish they weren't exclusively rabbitholes.

benji_br likes this.
  10. Sara

Sara

Im so excited im going to start my sims 4 in 30 minutes. Well i guess ill be playing for nearly the entire night tihihihi, so ill tell you all my impressions, tomorrow evening probably. But i can say even though i havent played yet, i pretty much sure i wont regreated and really hope ill get better with EP packs ( hope will toddlers)

-> sorry for my english guys, im not native speaker hopes not to anoying :p

benji_br likes this.