1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch Issues & Troubleshooting [December 4th 2015 / 1.13.102.1010 (PC) / 1.13.102.1220 (Mac)]

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DerMonarch, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

If you've encountered issues with getting Sims 4 to work after patching your game, just keep reading. I might be able to help you...

First things first: The Golden Rule!
    BEFORE patching Sims 4, remove ALL mods and CC that you have installed from your game to make sure that they can't interfere with the patch! After installing the patch, test the game WITHOUT your mods, so you know whether Sims 4 itself works or not! NEVER test the game with your mods and CC installed!

Now, let's continue with the most common issues people encounter after patching. If your problem is not listed here, I would appreciate if you could leave me a detailed description of your issue in this thread, so I can add it to the list.
    Keep in mind, the solutions below assume you followed the Golden Rule! If you didn't, skip directly to the very end of this list and read the final issue before searching for your specific problem.

Issue: The game won't open!

• If you can't even open the game, you've encountered an issue with Origin itself. Not uncommon. Origin likes to bugger things up every now and then. There are two possible solutions here which are quite simple.
      • First, right-click on Sims 4 in your Games Library and select 'Game Properties'. Now tick the box next to 'Disable Origin in game for this game'. Now click 'Done' and test the game.
      • If that didn't work, you may need to restart Origin. Click on 'Origin' in the upper left corner of Origin and select 'Exit'. It will now close and once it has done so, open it as usual. Now you can test the game again.
    • This solution has worked if you can see the game open up and at least get the Intro or a black screen. If the game crashes after that, that's perfectly fine. Yes, trust me, it actually is fine. But only because we'll deal with that next. The important thing for this solution is that the game can at least be started. Of course, if the game doesn't crash, that's okay, too.

Issue: The game crashes on start-up or when loading a household!

As of December 5th, Sims 4 can be launched via a 64-bit launcher, meaning that it is able to use more than 4 GB of RAM on 64-bit PCs. There seems to be some mods that are incompatible with the 64-bit version of the game. So the first thing you might want to try is running the 32-bit version.
    To do that, right-click on Sims 4 in your Games Library and select 'Game Properties'. Now choose 'The Sims 4 32 Bit' in the upper drop-down menu and click on OK. If the game is working now, keep it this way until all of your mods are updated for 64-bit.
    Should your game still crash on start-up, keep the 32-bit version and try the following solutions.

• Now this is a problem that can have two reasons and three solutions. You better hope you won't need the third one!
      • First, make sure you have removed all of your mods! Yes, even custom content. Outdated or broken CC and mods are the reason for most crashes of those who use them. Once upon a time, in a galaxy not at all far away, I had constant crashing issues with Sims 3 for multiple weeks even after reinstalling the game and all its expansions three times in a row until I finally figured out that those crashes occured because a single one of my hundrets of CC files was outdated and thus incompatible.
      • If it's not the mods and Sims 4 is still crashing, then it's the game. Which is only logical... so I don't know why I'm pointing this out. But yeah, it's the game. Something is obviously corrupted or missing in your game files. In Sims 3 you would have needed to reinstall your game at this point. But luckily Origin has a solution for this. (Yes, I was surprised, too.) First, create a back-up of your save files or just move the folder with your saves onto your desktop. Because this solution can get rid of them! Done? Now, right-click on the game in your Game Library and select 'Repair Game'. This will take a moment. Or 50.000 moments, depending on how much Origin has to repair. So give it a bit of time. Once it's done, try starting the game and hope that it won't crash!
      • It crashed anyway? Well, this is going to be fun! Last resort if Origin can't repair the game is reinstalling it. But first, you'll have to uninstall the game. Origin makes this step pretty easy. Just right-click on your game again and select 'Uninstall'. Repeat that for all Stuff Packs, Game Packs, Expansions and small DLC packs. Now you'll either have to download all of them again or you just install them from their respective discs if you have those. Keep in mind, the best way to install Sims games is to do it in a specific order: Base Game first (duh!), then download the latest patch and now you can install your SPs, GPs, EPs, DLCs and MTVs in order of their release. That specific order shouldn't matter that much with Sims 4, but Sims 2 nailed that rule into my brain so I'll tell you about it anyway, just in case.

Issue: One or several game features that I never had issues with are not completely messed up or don't work at all! (Can't harvest anything/Sims have lost their jobs/objects don't work/etc.)
    • This could be a bug. If you followed the Golden Rule, then it probably is a bug. But if you didn't and left one or more mods installed before testing the game, this is likely the problem. I'm not stressing that without reason. It really is important that you only test the functionality of the game without mods (enough highlighting of that sentence yet?) because the smallest change can completely break a mod and yes, even custom content. So, please be a good lad or lass and remove your mods! Now you can test the game with both old save files and completely new safe files. Only then you can be sure about what is working and what isn't!

Issue: My mods or custom content are not working/not showing up/broken after the patch!
    • Patches change a lot of game files. And some of those are required to run certain mods and load certain CC. In that case, your mods and CC have to be updated. Try to find the place where you downloaded the mod or CC that isn't working and find out whether the creator has already uploaded an updated version or not. If not, leave the mod or CC out of your game until it has been updated, especially mods! Outdated mods can corrupt your game and trust me, you don't want to have to reinstall the entire game, especially once there are tons of expansions for it! CC is usually fine after a patch and doesn't need to be updated but there are patches that will even break certain types of custom content. For example: the 'Get To Work'-Patch broke custom skin tones and eyes because it changed game files connected to skins and eyes in preparation for aliens. (Actually, that particular patch broke a lot more that is less obvious when it comes to CC but we haven't got all day, so I'll spare you the details.)

These are the most common issues with patching and most of you should be able to solve your issues in next to no time. If you need further assistance with some of the more difficult solutions, just ask here. I'll do what I can to help and some other members of these forums might as well.
    Keep in mind, these threads are supposed to help those who are encountering some of the smaller problems and only those that regularly occur after patching. Bigger issues with the game itself are not supposed to be addressed in here and you should open a seperate thread for those or search the internet for solutions.
    If your problem is not listed here, I would appreciate if you could leave me a detailed description of your issue by clicking here, so I can add it to the list.

As with all issues and problems involving The Sims, if nobody can help you online, you can always contact EA support via this link!

2. DerMonarch

Issue: I can't load up my household! I am sent back to the World Map every time I try to play my Sims.

As of July 28th 2015, this issue should be resolved for most players. Should you still encounter it, however, do try to make your save available for the developers to look into it on the EA Answer HQ!
    • So, this is a bit of a long one. First of all, this could also be triggered by outdated mods, as everything else. But it is a known bug since release. The developers have already been able to eliminate a lot of the things that cause this bug, but some have proven to be very resilient. I can offer you no guaranteed fixes, especially since I never encountered this issue in my game, but I do have some links and tips for you.
      • This is translated from Crinrict's german site. Full credit for this, and actually all of these tips, goes to her and the amazing work she is doing for the Sims community.
        • Please follow these steps to fix the problem.
        • Set Origin in offline mode.
        • Check all lots in all worlds for their lot type and make sure that no lots have the type General.
        • If you find such a lot, you must first evict all Sims living in it and then go into Build-Mode to adjust the lot type.
        • Have your Sims move in again.
        • Save your game under a new name.
        • Check whether the game is loading now. If not, check all lots again.
        • If everything works, you can go back online.
        • If there are still problems when online, controll all lots yet again.
      • Something that might also help you is the factory reset: Click here.
        • If you do this, I would suggest also having Origin repair the game before starting with the factory reset. Just as an extra thing to make sure everything is back to factory.
      • This thread might be able to help you if none of the others suggestions can: Click here.
        • There are quite a few possible fixes in the very first post.
      • It's always stupid having to do this, but reinstalling the game can get rid of a lot of bugs that occur randomly. If nothing else helps, this will! But it may only fix the issue for fresh save games. Make sure to back up your saves, though!
    • One of these will probably at least allow you to use a new save properly. Though, your old save may be lost until they fix it again if none of the above manage to rescue it. Something you can do to help finding a solution for this, is uploading your save file to somewhere and posting the link on the last thread in the Answer HQ that I have posted above. The more saves are made available to the developers, the more likely it is for them to be able to reproduce and fix the issue.

Issue: Several lines of text are missing! Instead they only show up as long codes of signs, letters and numbers!

• This issue is caused by Origin. With every patch that adds new lines of text, one specific file has to be updated and for some reason Origin sometimes fails in doing so. This problem could also be caused by mods, but since you are surely a good listener and have followed the Golden Rule (you have followed it, right?), it can only be Origin.
      • The easiest way to resolve this issue is by having Origin repair the game. First, back-up your saves as they can be lost during the process. Also make sure there are no mods or CC files in your Mods folder. Now, right-click Sims 4 in your Origin game library and choose 'Repair Game'. Origin will take a while scanning for missing or outdated files and then redownloading them. Now you can test your game and for most people this should have resolved the issue.
      • Are you one of those unlucky players who still face the same issue after repairing the game? I'm sorry, pal! Here is goes, let's reinstall your game. But first, you'll have to uninstall the game. Origin makes this step pretty easy. Just right-click on your game again and select 'Uninstall'. Repeat that for all Stuff Packs, Game Packs, Expansions and small DLC packs. Now you'll either have to download all of them again or you just install them from their respective discs if you have those. Keep in mind, the best way to install Sims games is to do it in a specific order: Base Game first (duh!), then download the latest patch and now you can install your SPs, GPs, EPs, DLCs and MTVs in order of their release. That specific order shouldn't matter that much with Sims 4, but Sims 2 nailed that rule into my brain so I'll tell you about it anyway, just in case. (No, I did not copy & paste the same thing I wrote above! How dare you...)

Issue: I patched the game without removing my mods! Help! Does that mean the end of the world?

• Don't worry, it does not. I'll just glue it together with my trusty... oh, you wanted to know what you're supposed to do now? Sorry, let's get to it then.
      • First of all, to make sure the game won't update itself without your permission, click on the 'Origin' button on the upper left of Origin and now select 'Application Settings'. Here, scroll down to 'Updates' and untick the box next to 'Automatically keep my games up to date'. Now you are in control of the universe... erm, the game updates. Origin will no longer be able to download patches on its own.
      • Now we take care of the actual problem, which might not be a problem at all. Take your mods out of the game and play for a couple of hours. Or days. Or weeks. Or centuries. Whichever you prefer, really. Just make sure that the game works fine. If it does, likely nothing happened and you can stop reading. If there are issues, continue with the next step.
      • So your game has issues because your mods made it sick? Luckily, Origin has majored in rocket science, arts, english, law and medicine, so it can probably take care of that problem itself. First, make a back-up of your saves and make sure you have removed every single mod from the game. Then just right-click on Sims 4 in your Game Library and select 'Repair Game'. Give Origin some time and it will replace all of your corrupt, broken or missing files. Maybe. Honestly, it might not. It probably will, but test the game anyway. Without mods! If the issues are resolved, have fun playing! If not... oh boy...
      • So, the game still doesn't want to work? Last resort if Origin can't repair the game is reinstalling it. But first, you'll have to uninstall the game. Origin makes this step pretty easy. Just right-click on your game again and select 'Uninstall'. Repeat that for all Stuff Packs, Game Packs, Expansions and small DLC packs. Now you'll either have to download all of them again or you just install them from their respective discs if you have those. Keep in mind, the best way to install Sims games is to do it in a specific order: Base Game first (duh!), then download the latest patch and now you can install your SPs, GPs, EPs, DLCs and MTVs in order of their release. That specific order shouldn't matter that much with Sims 4, but Sims 2 nailed that rule into my brain so I'll tell you about it anyway, just in case. (Copy & paste again? There's a criminal on the loose, it seems! :eek:)

Issue: Cheat XYZ is not working anymore!

• It's not actually very clear whether this is an actual issue at all, but a couple of people have reported it and restarting the game seems to help out here.

These are the most common issues after patching and most of you should be able to solve your issues in next to no time. If you need further assistance with some of the more difficult solutions, just ask here. I'll do what I can to help and some other members of these forums might as well.
    Keep in mind, these threads are supposed to help those who are encountering some of the smaller problems and only those that regularly occur after patching. Bigger issues with the game itself are not supposed to be addressed in here and you should open a seperate thread for those or search the internet for solutions.
    If your problem is not listed here, I would appreciate if you could leave me a detailed description of your issue by clicking here, so I can add it to the list.

As with all issues and problems involving The Sims, if nobody can help you online, you can always contact EA support via this link!

3. DerMonarch

Issue: After installing the December 4th Patch, my game's performance has gotten worse/my loading screens are taking forever/there's glitches EVERYWHERE!!!1!eleven!
    • Said Patch added a 64-bit launcher to the PC-version of Sims 4, which allows 64-bit PCs with more than 4 GB of RAM to use more than that. This new version of the game and the issues or incompatibilities connected with it still need some investigating, but for now there are a couple of suggestions for you:
      • Switch back to the 32-bit version of the game. If the game ran smoothly before patching, this will most likely solve your problem. To do that, right-click on Sims 4 in your Games Library and select 'Game Properties'. Now, open up the upper drop-down menu and select 'The Sims 4 32 Bit'. After that press OK and start the game.
      • If that didn't work, it might be incompatible mods causing the issue. This patch was a massive one and tons of mods are bound to be outdated now. First of all, keep the 32-bit version of the game and then, either remove them one by one or all at the same time and check if your performance has gone back to normal. Once it does, you have taken out every culprit and will have to wait for their modder to release an update.
      • If mods can't be the problem either, you might want to try repairing the game. To do that, right-click on Sims 4 in your Game Library and select 'Repair Game'. Make sure not to have any mods left in your Mods folder before doing this to avoid file corruption. Now wait for Origin to repair the install and afterwards check your game's performance again. Don't forget to also check the game's performance when creating a completely new save file. Old saves tend to oerform worse than new ones and are more likely to be corrupted.

These are the most common issues after patching and most of you should be able to solve your issues in next to no time. If you need further assistance with some of the more difficult solutions, just ask here. I'll do what I can to help and some other members of these forums might as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.