1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible cause of lag, long initial loading screen.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rye_encoke, Sep 8, 2014.

1. rye_encoke

rye_encoke

So anything you have in your library, sends a bunch of files (7 files for a lot, not sure how many for a household) into the tray folder.

Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Tray

I found this out just by playing around when I was adding a new lot from TSR. So I went into my library and deleted all the extra households and lots that I had saved and sure enough my tray folder went from over 600 files down to about 150. Then I started the game up and the initial loading screen, with the big plumbob and the below it says things like reticulating spines...well that was not nearly as long, in fact it was almost instantaneous that the game actually started.

So here is the thing. If you find a lot on say MTS or TSR then yeah, it has to go into tray and fills that up. But if you find one in the gallery, there is no real need to save it to your library and fill up the tray folder. It is already in the gallery which you can search any time. Of course there is the possibility that a favourite lot or household may be removed from the gallery by the creator, but chances are small, and there will always be other lots or households.

So if you have a ton of stuff in your library and find the initial load takes forever and you have some lag during the game, try trimming out all the stuff in your library you can stand to do without. Seriously it makes a very noticeable difference.

additional note: the sims that are preloaded into the library by EA unfortunately can't be removed even if you will never ever use them, so they are what accounts for the 100 or so tray files that you can't get rid of.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    Jarron likes this.
  2. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

What helped me with this issue was simply telling Origin to go offline. I don't know why both of these solutions solve the same problem, but they do, even though they don't affect the same part of the game in any way. But according to EA's support, the devs are aware of this issue and are trying to fix it.

blossums likes this.
  3. rye_encoke

rye_encoke

How do you tell Origin to go offline? Do you just close origin or is there something in one of the menu's?

4. nightspore

nightspore

It's in the configuration menu - Game Options - Other, right at the top. You'll know you're disconnected when you can only access your library & not the gallery. Origin will still be running on your PC, it just disconnects the game.

5. bluebythebook

bluebythebook

On the official forums, someone (if I understood her correctly) said that in her library folders were hundreds and hundreds of saved thumbnail pics of items she browsed in the gallery but didn't even click on or download. Take that for what you will.

6. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

You can also just open Origin, click on the 'Origin' menu in the upper left corner and select 'Go Offline'

7. rye_encoke

rye_encoke

thanks all, found it, and now using it with the cleaned out tray folder, I have no lag and almost instant load screens

8. nightspore

nightspore

I prefer to turn it off in-game rather than go offline. That way Origin will still update the game if EA releases a patch.