1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotational Neighborhood Gameplay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CanuckSimmer, Aug 17, 2015.

1. CanuckSimmer

CanuckSimmer Staff Member

Hi everyone -

I just started up one of my first rotational gameplay neighborhoods in the Sims 4 and am very excited as I have some great story lines running through my head! I've created 9 young adult couples (married) and am going to play a week rotation throughout the neighborhood. The kids will all be going to the same school and will have relationships with one another. My imagination is running wild!

I'm just thought I'd start a fun discussion on how you might play save files within your game?

2. Mitchi32

Mitchi32

Generally, all of my save files are rotational game play unless it's my legacy challenge family.

I play one family (always aging off) until I reach a goal that I've set for myself with that family. For example, one family could have a teen and I tell myself I won't age the teen up until they have a certain amount of friends. Whereas with a YA that I'm playing, maybe I won't switch until I've reach a certain level in their career.

Sometimes I'll be watching DIY network on TV and see a really great idea for a house or yard, so I'll go to an empty lot, build that house and then start a new family in my game. Then play that family until I've reach the goals I've set for that household.

And then sometimes I just get bored and switch. haha.

3. CanuckSimmer

@Mitchi32 - Sounds like fun :)! I've never really played with aging off because I really enjoy watching the genetics play out from generation to generation and my goal is usually to create a large family line. I usually just stick to one family and then choose a child to continue on the family name (although I rarely play by official legacy rules).

Thought it would be fun if I had control of the entire neighborhood for once :fearscream:!

4. Mitchi32

Mitchi32

With aging off, you can still bake a birthday cake, and when you're sim choosing to make a wish etc, they will still age up. So it's nice being 100% in control of that (yeah... I'm kind of a control freak IRL)

5. Pyziulka

Pyziulka

I tried rotational play but I'm not sure it's for me. I made 4 families and I wanted to play each of them for 1 week but then I got one sim pregnant at the end of this week and I had a dilemma. I could either play this family longer till baby is born so I can choose names for him or let it be and stay with some stupid name (I hate Polish translation so much... ), But what with aging baby to child and choosing trait? I know I could play with aging off but I prefer NPC to be able to grow up...

So now I play differently. I have one "main"family and 3-4 "secondary" families. Those secondary are usually siblings of main family. I found them husband/wifes early on when they are in main family and them move them out to their own hose near by. Then I rotate to them just to make sim pregnant and let it be. Sometimes I find them jobs but it's doesn't really matters since they don't have any bills to pay ;) I usually have neighborhood full of stay at home parents ;) Those secondary families are friends of my family sometimes I can even find love interest for next generation there :D

I try to play generation but with family tree glitch I kind of lost interest in this. I have 4th generation now but I lost first two in family tree so it looks like I have second generation. I wish they fix it already!

6. Mitchi32

Mitchi32

@Pyziulka I agree... the glitch is frustrating... I've paused my Legacy Challenge family because I like to keep all the tombstones on the lot, and there names have started to disappear from them.

It's also nice having a bunch of sims in the neighbourhood without jobs because then they're available whenever to come visit! :)

7. Pyziulka

Pyziulka

@Mitchi32 - I was wondering if there is any mod that prevent than from happening. I heard about no culling mod but I never try it since I like my game to be mod free. But this bug just makes me angry and I really want to fix it...

8. Mitchi32

Mitchi32

I currently have a mod/cc free game as well.

From what I understand, the no culling mod disables the 180 sim max population. This way you can keep aging on for the entire game and sims will naturally die and more will repopulate so it isn't supposed to make a huge difference in performance should the population pass 180 sims. NPC will not disappear from your game... but they will die if you have aging on. I imagine if you turn aging off with the mod, you may get too many sims and that will impact performance.

I'm hoping that one day they will have some kind of fix where it won't delete NPCs that you have a relationship with... but I'm not holding my breath on that one! :sweatsmile:

Pyziulka likes this.
  9. Pyziulka

Pyziulka

Well all I want is family tree fix and more family play ;) But one can dream :D

benji_br likes this.
  10. CanuckSimmer

That is a fun idea @Pyziulka ! I also ran into the issue where babies are born if you get your Sim pregnant in the time frame where you are going to start playing another family. So I've adapted and will rotate families after about a week, depending on whether or not they are pregnant. If they are, I'll play them for a few extra days so they can have their baby!

I'm currently on the first rotation of my families and am on family 4 of 9. I had two of the families have babies and this fourth one will as well.

Khristiaan likes this.