1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Life Simulation Game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkAuthor13, Mar 20, 2015.

1. DarkAuthor13

DarkAuthor13

Here's the article explaining it all: http://*****************/2015/03/20/the-sims-is-getting-a-competition/

So, what do you guys think? You think Paradox Interactive could deliver a better life simulation game than EA/Maxis? I'm looking forward to what they produce, but I don't expect them to outdo The Sims franchise. There's a lot of expectations tied to a life simulation game and I kinda doubt that Paradox could deliver everything fans want and then some.

That doesn't mean I think they'll completely fail. :)
    I'm curious to know what angle they'll take for the game genre.

2. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

I don't think they could manage to outdo The Sims. Not on the first try and maybe never. The franchise has been sitting on its throne for fifteen years and even with constant criticism from the moment on Sims 2 was released, no competitor could ever get close to being called competition and the franchise itself never weakened as a result. Of course, those were all pretty lifeless games that were mostly just thrown together without much care and were thus forgotten before anyone really knew them. Paradox has the potential to create some competition. But more than that? Not so sure...
    It could actually be compared to Google being the undoubted "ruler" over the internet or WoW remaining the best selling MMO. They do many things wrong and many people hate them for it. But they've established themselves so heavily and have grown so big that even the biggest uprising would do them no harm.

As for Paradox and their capabilities, I am sure they could create a good life simulation. But could they give that simulation life? Because if they can't, they would have to find a completely different audience. The Sims is not about the simulation of life, its about how alive that simulation feels. It's about the many stories that can be created and create themselves. It's about the charm of the Sims. It's about being a god, a story teller, a mother, a father, a friend and occasionally being a torturer and reaper to those Sims. That's something Maxis has learned over many years and has become very experienced in. It's something they never got wrong. For as much criticism as Sims 3 got on exactly that point in its early days, the Sims themselves still managed to feel like Sims. They had that life in them.
    Paradox are very capable of creating simulations, but a life simulation has to be more than statistics and strategies to be a good life simulation. And I don't know if that is something they could achieve. For as much as I like Cities: Skylines, I do find myself missing some of the more crazy aspects that were part of the SimCity franchise, like giant robots that attack your city, alien invasions or even zombie attacks. Those things made SimCity more than a simulation. They gave the series life. A life that isn't needed for a city builder, but certainly for a life simulation like The Sims.
    If Paradox manages to catch just that feeling of the game being alive, then they clearly have earned my respect, but if they'd try and it would turn out to be a game dominated by numbers and logic, then It would not be entirely unexpected. Because that's not easy to achieve and the fact that The Sims did achieve that on the first try is exactly the reason why it became so big.

Now, if they decide to give it a try, I wish them the best of luck. It would be a massive undertaking and very ambitious of them. But I just hope for them they know the community they'd face. The Sims community is easily the most diverse gaming community that exists. It is clearly extremely demanding. Or to phrase it more clearly: We can be the best community you could wish for. But we can also just as easily be the worst. Should they try, I hope they succeed. Because not only would it create competition and variation within the genre that could lead to a great many improvements within the Sims series, but it would also be the best for them. Because I don't even want to imagine what they would have to face if they try and fail in delivering what the Sims community (which would definitely not be their only target audience but let's face it, their most important one) expects. If there is one thing an outsider would never call this community, it would be understanding...

All in all, there is one thing I do know: They can't kill the Sims series, as some people might fear and for all I know some might even hope! The Sims is too strong an adversary for something like that. The Sims could only kill itself, as SimCity did. And a strong competitor could very well ensure that that will never happen.

3. DarkAuthor13

DarkAuthor13

4. Esnes Nommoc

Esnes Nommoc

They've already announced through twitter that they won't make a life simulation game like some rumour people spreaded though. :O

5. DarkAuthor13

DarkAuthor13

Yep, just read the new response they gave. Oh well. I guess for now The Sims will be go on unchallenged. We'll just have to wait and see if any other company decides to make a life simulation.