1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you at all worried about not getting EPs or The Sims 5?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peacenowflower, Sep 12, 2014.

1. peacenowflower

peacenowflower

I have yet to play the game because I have a Mac. So looking for News on when The Sims 4 is coming to the Mac, I found this: No Sims 4 for Mac version scenario is possible

If EA is considering not even bothering to convert The Sims 4 to Mac, if sales don't pick up, there is no way there will be any Expansion Packs. I am frankly a little worried about the future of a game I have played since childhood.

I don't get how a game that ranked #1 in UK charts would be facing this problem. The article sites poor reviews as the cause. Reviews on Amazon are horrible. If you like the game, then you might want to make yourself heard.

This is the second time I have worried about the fate of The Sims in the last week. The first is posted on this site with EA threatening there might be no Sims 5.

I know that the game sounds buggy, but I have read enough good reviews to know that I will love it (especially after a few EPs). I don't like the fate of me being able to play Sims 4 being in the hands of PC users.

So what do you think the fate of Sims will turn out to be. Do you think sales will pick up after a price drop, and save the franchise?

2. sholtx

sholtx

Reviews are usually made by people who are not satisfied with the game. I'm pretty sure they will still make a Mac version and some EPs but if it keeps happening like that, they will stop making the Sims series. And we will be the ones who suffer, not EA.

3. Esnes Nommoc

Esnes Nommoc

That article doesn't seem to be professional... :neutral:
    Anyway, I don't think it's a threat from EA. It's... kind of common sense. If a film or a game turns out flops, then what's the point of making a sequel?
    But yep, I'm definitely worried... :coldsweat:

4. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

That's a very unprofessional article, you found there.
    There is no real reason to be worried. The game topped the UK Charts after 3 days, not even taking digital Downloads into consideration. A game that manages something like that doesn't really need to be worried about its future. EA wasn't threatening anyone when Grant mentioned that Sims 5 won't exist if Sims 4 doesn't sell good enough. That's the case for every sequel in this industry. There wouldn't have been a Sims 4 either, if Sims 3 wouldn't have sold enough copies. Had Sims 2 been a flop, then Sims 3 would never have existed. Same goes for movies. There will only ever be a sequel to anything if it promises to make a lot of money. That's common sense and I was shocked when I realized how many people took a logical thing like that as a threat.
    As for the Mac Version, the demand is gigantic. EA would be stupid not to reach out for that money. They've probably been throwing the game over to a professional Mac developer shortly after release, which is not new for the series. Sims 2 did exactly the same.
    Honestly, EA could do with the franchise whatever they want and it would turn out to be a gigantic success! There is no other game like The Sims out there and even if there was one, it would have an extremely hard time establishing itself against the giant that is EA. It would probably have to come from a publisher like Activision or Ubisoft to have any chance at all, where I wouldn't put much hope into an Activision Version and Ubisoft tends to cater to fan service a bit too much to ever develop a good life simulation, I think.
    In the end, there will always be a next Sims game and there is nothing anyone could do about it. The games will always be among the most sold games of all time at the end of their life cycle and even when they stop ending up there, EA would just sell the franchise to another publisher. The name is too big to just disappear. Give it another year and we will already have heard the first rumours about Maxis putting together a Sims 5 division, I can promise you that much.

Harry likes this.
  5. JohnBigOz

JohnBigOz

As far as I know Grant or Graham said if sales flop, there won't be the next iteratino.

That article probably took those words not only out of context, but also out of logic.

OBVIOUSLY, if a game sells badly then there won't be a new iteration. Why? Because the sales influence how much budget a game can get... that's just logical.

So if Sims 4 does poorly (which it won't, not only is it sold at almost 100 bucks in some places but the die-hard fan base will mostly remain loyal even if the game sucks, and a lot of fans actually are praising the game), then they won't be able to afford a new iteration.

I highly doubt that this flopping would mean the end of Sims 4 for MAC or expansion packs, pretty sure they are already working on the first content pack whatever it may be. And Mac just needs time so it's functional without screwing up.

6. blossums

blossums

I'm not worried, it will happen or it won't and I think it probably will

7. andypdm

andypdm

Oh! Don't you worry! They will do a mac version, and at least 7 expansion pack... What I would like to see anyway is an apology from EA for all those unhappy customers. I work in costumer service and that is what I would do, independently if I agree or not, there is a bunch of really unhappy users and that is not fair.

I personally love the game :) They just need to polish some aspects but in general it is a great game.

8. Cody

Cody

Plus Sims is a cash cow with ripe utters bursting with golden milk. They would mop up the mess, wait a moment for people to forget, then come out with Sims 5. With other series I would agree they would drop it but this is not like Destiny. It is a game that has an already established mass following and to turn their cheek to stuff packs, billion store items, and the expansion packs does not compute with my brain. EA would not pack their bags and move onto something else, even if Sims 4 was a flop. The amount of money lost would be minimal to the money they could gain in the future by a new Sims.

9. Thijs

Thijs

The Sims is the best, of course it is not a flop!

10. MrDaveyy

MrDaveyy Mr McCutie

Not worried in the slightest! I think that this is just the media and certain people creating drama, it's how they get readers for their articles after all. The Sims has established itself enormously in the gaming industry, one of the most recognisable names in gaming is not going to cease after one game gets negative reviews. It is also clear, that reviews don't necessarily influence sales on a massive scale, The Sims 4 has sold well, currently at the #1 spot on the UK All-Format gaming chart. This is no small achievement and a game that can produce such sales will no doubt follow the same, or a very similar pattern to the previous iterations of the game. I predict expansions, DLC and improvement updates will go ahead as planned for The Sims 4 and that we will see future incarnations of Sims for years to come. Finally, I see all the negative reviews as being a little too harsh when describing certain elements of the game mechanics. EA Maxis and The Sims Studio created this specifically for expansion, a "foundation" for the rest of this piece of the franchise!