1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics card questions?A few...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by missmf2, Aug 30, 2014.

1. missmf2

missmf2 Site Supporter

Hello all,
    My first question is does anyone know if there are specific forums or if this would be the right place to ask about graphics cards? Does anyone here have the knowledge or experience to help me?

I read the information on SimsVIP for minimum and recommended tech specs for TS4 I am the one who was saying my card fried like 3 weeks ago which I guess is a blessing and a curse.. Because on Sept 2nd unless I go to a local best buy I will have to wait for delivery of a new graphics card. :sob:

Any-who to my questions..
    1.) What AMD cards would run in recommended settings? OR What would the equivalent of the 650 GTX be in an AMD card? Does GDD3 and GDDR5 make huge difference?
    2.) Would an Nvidia GT card get me to the recommended settings? (instead of the more expensive GTX ?)
    3.) Does anyone have a site recommendation other than newegg to buy graphics cards?
    4.) Does anyone know of a GTX or card similar specs that would be under $80 ? ((links if allowed would be greatly appreciated ))

I know this is alot but, I have been looking for about 3 weeks now... I haven't been able to make many simmies now that I cannot open CAS demo :*( And, I would really like to try and play this week at least :*(
    THANX MUCH!!!

2. CraziiMiku

CraziiMiku

Hehe, this is the correct place to ask. After all, it is the technical forum :) .

1) I have an AMD R9 270x 2GB and it runs pretty much flawlessly, considering I have 4GB of custom content. Please note that you also need other good gear to run TS3 well, not just a fantastic card. R9 270x or above should be fine.

2) Judging by this, the GT card seem pretty low. ou'd be better off with a GTX for sure.

3) Posted above :)

4) You'll never get a card for that amount, except maybe Ebay, which I don't trust. Best thing ot do is just save up :) .

3. Katryin

Katryin

4. missmf2

missmf2 Site Supporter

Thank you both dearly ...
    Here is my issue I ran TS3 with a radeon 4350 just fine it just fried after almost 6 yrs... Which as far as the specs go it was a 512mb ddr3 or ddr 2 card..:*( @Katryin that list says both my integrated and previous mentioned card shouldn't have ran.. And, they did through all of my Sims 3 eps / sps

My specs: Core 2 Quad @2.66
    4gb ram
    Just integrated graphics (not good enough)

@CraziiMiku- I don't there is no possible way the card you mentioned would fit in my case.. HP elite m9304f unfortunately it came with a Nvidia 9500 gs or something like that very small profile .. It is a full width card just short and small.. I believe 6.6 x 1" I think if moving some stuff around I might be able to fit a dual slot if lucky :*( The card you mentioned is like really huge and $200 woah lol I'll have to measure again..

I just want to play Ts4 with minimum to recommended requirements on the video card :*( I just preloaded yesterday :*(
    I might just have to wait for more money ...or try a lower end card from best buy for now...
    Thanks again ....
    Mel. F

5. CraziiMiku

CraziiMiku

@missmf2 Wow sorry for that.

What size is your card at the moment?

6. thatsimsgirl

thatsimsgirl Site Supporter

I personally wouldn't worry TOO much about the graphics cards alone; processor, processor speed and RAM all play a big part in gaming as well. If your computer/laptops meets all requirements other than the graphics card, then I'd say you're pretty safe to play. And don't forget, Origin are doing that.... money back thing; if you don't like the game/it doesn't perform well, then you have 24 hours from when you start playing to just return it. Or something like that, anyway.

I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 540m (1GB memory) in this laptop. It's not on the official supported list, but I'm not worried. This laptop can handle Sims 3 set to highest settings, so it'll be able to handle Sims 4 easily. That's the general consensus from people that I've spoken to about it; if you can run TS3, then you'll be able to run TS4. The devs specifically designed the game to run on older/lower end laptops/computers.

missmf2 likes this.
  7. MidnightPearl

MidnightPearl

um... I hope I'm not breaking any rules here but if you go onto google and type in can you run it and this takes you to a site called systemrequirementslab.com, from there you choose the game sims 4 and then the site analyzes the system requirements and your PC and tells you if you can or can't run Sims 4 and shows you the results and shows the minimum requirements and the recommended requirements for sims 4 and compares that info with your PC info, then you'll know if sims 4 will run or not, and only time will tell on the day when you install it too. Cos I know I need a new video card myself and my result for my video card came up red only on (recommend requirements) but it showed a green tick with (minimum requirements), I hope this helped!

8. George

George

I'm pretty sure it's okay if you are just testing the base game, I think it's not accurate if your testing it when you have expansions installed as they ramp up the specifications sometimes, like seasons and pets.

MidnightPearl likes this.
  9. MidnightPearl

MidnightPearl

true, the only way to find out is to install the full base game and see if it does run or not-that is the true test of it all, I know for a fact I definately need a new vid card as the computer tech said I would have to upgrade before the 1st ep comes out anyways.

10. George

George

I just upgraded a few months ago and found that my card just makes it for recommended specs. Looks like I'll need to upgrade again in the future. If you don't mind me asking, what card do you have at the moment?