1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are not receiving an email confirmation after registering your account, send an email to SimsVIPContact@Gmail.com with your registered username, and we will validate your account.
    Dismiss Notice

One thing I am a little disappointed in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rye_encoke, Sep 14, 2014.

1. rye_encoke

rye_encoke

I love the game so far but one thing I am a little disappointed in is how fast you can max a skill. I was able to max the painting skill in one sim week. That seems much too fast for me. I continued playing the sim and started writing next. Writing took 9 sim days. Again, much too fast for me.

I don't know about the other skills and how fast they level but if they are all the same, then I think we need a difficulty slider for skills.

For the above skills I did not have a career. I can level painting and max the painting career both in 10 to 13 days. Again, way too fast. This was all done using no cheats.

Still, I can still roleplay the sim and continue in a skill or career just fine. As I said, I was just a bit disappointed was all.

2. Mattyboi

Mattyboi

It actually depends on the scenario. Personally, it takes me forever to max out a skill.

For me, it took my sim about 2-3 weeks just to max out the guitar skill. She was constantly inspired when she practiced and she was a music lover and creative. Her job was also entertainer so she consistently had to be playing the guitar to get promoted and what-not.

Similarly, I had a sim in cuisine. He had raised 3 children to teenage years and still only was level 7 cooking. His wife, however, was at the same level and she just cooked the family their meals. Understandably they were at the same level for he had to cook daily for his job and she had to cook daily for her family.

If your sim is in the painter profession they're going to level up quickly. It's one-two-three logic. They have to paint since it's part of their job and it's a daily thing. If you dedicate your sim to a skill they're going to level up. The first 2 levels go by incredibly fast though. (1-2 days a level after 3 or 4).

Not really much you can do unless you wait for a mod that slows the skill building process. Look at the bright side, all sims could be Sims 3 vampires and max out skills in a day. :screamcat:

3. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

I found that it really depends a lot on how many Sims you are playing with. The family I started out with consisted of an elder, a young adult and her child. I quickly added a husband for the young adult and both got another child. With those five it took me quite a while to achieve anything, really. But then just the last couple of days I started playing a writer couple and they are just flying through both the skill and the career. They don't have a real social life, though... :p

4. rye_encoke

rye_encoke

Yeah, I play a single sim and of course realize that painting is one of the easiest skills to max. I do it because I just love being a painter and because of the easy cash. I of course immediately get stuck in the....but in Sim 3 it was this way....type of mentality. I have to constantly remind myself this is a new sims game, things are going to be different. Also I really do love the game, the whole emotions thing I simply find amazing, it is only a minor disappointment. I just have to make some adjustments to my game play style. For example I socialize very little, I have one or two friends who end up at my house all the time and who I talk with while painting. I can change that so that one weeknight and the weekends I spend out at the gym or bar.

Just different is all. But I would definitely use a mod that slows the skill building I think. Would make playing a career last longer. Even if you max out the painting career, you could still be only halfway through the skill, so just keep playing the career until you max the skill. Or vice versa, slow the career track...max the skill but need to play the career longer to max it. Either of those two mods would be something I would use.

5. DerMonarch

DerMonarch Lord and Saviour Staff Member

I do think the game still needs a bit tuning in future patches. I, for example, find it very hard to even finish one Aspiration during my Sim's life. I don't think the aspirations are too hard, however, I just think the life spans are a bit weird. I find the normal life span to be too short for my playstyle and the long life span is just far too long. I hope they will give us some more freedom over decisions like this in the future. Opening up custom life spans again, like with Generations. Or giving us multiple difficulty levels for careers and skills would be a nice addition, too.
    I always altered the normal life span of Sims 3 to make my Sims live about 100 days, kind of simulating a real human life where one Sim-Day would be one real-life year. I found that to be the perfect life span for my playstyle, giving me just the right amount of time to spend with my Sims in every age group.

6. rye_encoke

rye_encoke

I play my sim as a single, I don't like playing multiple sims, and I set my sims aging to off, and the town sims I put on long lifespan.

7. uhleeshuh

uhleeshuh

Well a lot of the Aspirations depend on attaining certain skill levels consider that too.
    Since completing Aspirations is like the only way to really get a good chunk of points I'm glad that skills are a little easier to level up. By completing my sims Aspirations I was able to buy Savant so now it's even faster.

Why spend the your sims lives practicing practicing practicing when you can master it and reap the rewards?
    I was glad that it didn't take that long to master painting because with one painting I could cover the bills lol! Same goes for my dude with lvl 10 handiness. He can make a wooden bathtub for over 1K lol
    Who would want a wooden bathtub?!!

8. Cody

Cody

Sounds like a splinter in the butt waiting to happen lol.

9. uhleeshuh

uhleeshuh

Can't forget the wooden toilet!!!!

10. Cody

Cody

No thank you I think I will go find a bush and hope that what I use as toilet paper is not poison ivy/sumac/oak lol.

uhleeshuh likes this.