Sims 3 Community Blog: The Sims 3 Seasons!

Blog Link

Hi Simmers! I’m Ryan Vaughan, Lead Producer on The Sims 3 Seasons Expansion Pack. I hope you’re ready to break out your umbrellas and prepare for a storm, because as you may already know, we just announced that The Sims 3 Seasons will be launching this November!

I personally am very excited to be working on this expansion pack, not just because of all the brand new content and gameplay it brings, but also because it is one of the most highly requested expansions for The Sims 3! With tons of new features and dramatic weather effects, plus brand new seasonal events, celebrations, and festivals, The Sims 3 Seasons will transform your Sims’ lives in ways never before possible.

ts3_seasons_announce_snow

Of course, weather and seasonal changes are a big part of this game. Whether it’s a spring downpour, a summer heat wave, or even a winter snowstorm, weather and seasons transition naturally over the course of the year, allowing your Sims to interact with the open world environment like never before. But don’t worry— if you happen to live in Siberia and never want to see another flake of snow again, we’ve got you covered! Seasons and weather are completely controllable via a brand new panel in the options menu. You want to experience winter for just one day? You got it!

Weather isn’t all that The Sims 3 Seasons has to offer – not even close! Check out a few of the other awesome, brand new features that are included in this pack:

Seasonal Celebrations
For the first time ever, your Sims can celebrate the change of the seasons with other Sims at the brand new festival lot. Any world that you’re playing in (except for the vacation worlds in The Sims 3 World Adventures) will feature a unique festival during each season, complete with loads of fun new objects and events for your Sims to partake in. Sims can get into the spirit of summer by competing in a hot dog eating contest, or embrace the essence of fall by carving a pumpkin and touring the haunted house! Your Sims can take a trip to the kissing booth in the spring, or even join an epic snowball fight in the winter. There’s lots of fun to be had at the local festivals!

Swimming in the Ocean
For the first time ever in The Sims PC/Mac franchise, your Sims can head out into the ocean for a swim inThe Sims 3 Seasons! Whether it’s taking a dip off of the sunny beaches of Sunset Valley, or going for a paddle around the murky waters surrounding Bridgeport, your Sims are no longer confined to swimming only in pools. Explore previously unreachable areas in the world, or take along a floatie lounger for some relaxation! Your Sims can even brave the icy waters during winter in search of the Polar Bear Club moodlet!

Snowboarding
Your Sims can head to the winter festival or plop down the snowboard half-pipe in their very own backyards to start learning how to snowboard! Practice makes perfect; the more time your Sims spend on the half-pipe, the better they will get, and the more EPIC the tricks they’ll be able to do!

Soccer
Hmm, I think this is called football for the rest of you? That’s right – you’ve been asking for it for a while, and now it’s finally here! Your Sim can now compete in an epic shootout against another Sim, practice on their own, or even take part in a tournament! Just place the brand new soccer goals in Buy Mode, and watch any open space turn into a soccer pitch!

That was just a glimpse of a few of the brand new features and objects that will be included in The Sims 3 Seasons. Of course, as with any expansion pack, it will come with tons of new fashions, furniture and even a brand new way to build houses with blueprints.

Stay tuned for more details that we’ll be revealing during The Sims live broadcast on Friday, August 3rd at 10am PST here: http://www.origin.com/the-sims-3-supernatural-live-broadcast-2 or by checking out the blog pages of the SimGurus. We plan to keep posting info and answering questions all the way through the launch of The Sims 3 Seasons in November. And, as always, feel free to send us a Tweet on Twitter!

I’m sure you guys already have tons of questions, so I’ve worked with some of the other SimGurus to put together a list of answers to questions we thought you might have. Don’t see your question here? Feel free to tweet me @SimGuruRyan!

Q: What’s The Sims 3 Seasons all about?

A: With The Sims 3 Seasons Expansion Pack, you can play with life in new ways as you experience fun for all seasons and revel in the spirit of your favorite time of year. With all-new activities, seasonal festivals and celebrations, plus new foods, décor, fashions and weather effects, your Sims can enjoy the bounty and beauty of the ever-changing seasons like never before!

Q: What new traits and skills are available in this expansion?

A: The Sims 3 Seasons introduces the new traits “loves the cold” and “loves the heat.” Sims with these traits will enjoy more extreme temperatures, finding the cold or heat pleasant rather than uncomfortable.  Soccer and snowboarding are skills that are new to The Sims 3 Seasons.  As they practice, Sims will progress and improve over time in a natural progression.

Q: What new weather effects can we expect?

A: With the new transformative weather effects in the game, you can expect to see lots of new changes in your Sims’ worlds. From a snow-covered winter wonderland, to spring rain showers and bright summer sunshine, to changing leaf colors in the fall, The Sims 3 Seasons brings a variety of all-new creative possibilities.  Brace yourselves for hail, fog, thunder, lightning and more!

Q: Are there new careers?

A: While there aren’t any full new careers, there is a new part-time job that only Aliens can get by becoming a “Test Subject” at the Science Facility.

Q: What are the new seasonal celebrations?

A: Each season has its own celebration, where Sims gather for festivities, complete with seasonal activities, food, decorations, objects and costumes. Your Sims can go ice skating, visit the snowball fight arena, stop by the kissing booth for a smooch, go on an egg hunt, get their face painted, watch fireworks, bob for apples, enter a pie-eating contest and more.

Q: Can you participate in activities like swimming and snowboarding year-round?

A: Yes, Sims can participate in fun activities such as swimming in the ocean and catching some air on the snowboard half pipe regardless of the season. For instance, when it’s warm out, Sims can head to the beach and cool down with a splash in the waves. During the cooler months, Sims can get the “Polar Bear Club” moodlet by venturing into the bone-chilling waters during the dead of winter.  Sims can also perform tricks on the snowboard half pipe, which will be covered with artificial snow during the warmer times of the year.

Q: What are some of your favorite objects in the game?

A: One of the fun new objects in The Sims 3 Seasons is the diving board, which allows Sims to make a splash at the pool, whether plunging in with a big cannon ball or slipping into the water with an elegant swan dive.The Sims 3 Seasons also introduces umbrellas for the first time in The Sims, which will definitely come in handy for those spring showers!

Q: Will there be new music is in this EP and will there be holiday songs?

A: There will be a number of new songs that your Sims can rock out to in The Sims 3 Seasons. While there aren’t any holiday songs, short musical phrases will be included in the game to celebrate the various seasons.

Q: Will weather be able to be taken into other EPs?

A: Yes, weather effects will be compatible with all previous expansion and stuff packs within The Sims 3except for the vacation worlds in The Sims 3 World Adventures.

Q: What are the best new features you would recommend to new players?

A: One of the exciting new additions to The Sims 3 Seasons is “Blueprint Mode”, which players can enter in build/buy. With this new feature, players can create or edit lots by easily placing down pre-made room layouts. Players can modify the finer details of designs, décor and furnishings after they are done placing their selected blueprints.

Q: What is the occult in this game?

A:  The Sims 3 Seasons introduces aliens for the first time in The Sims 3. Aliens are the occult for this game, returning from The Sims 2 with some intriguing updates. Stay tuned for more info about what aliens can do in the game!

Q: Will there be new romantic interactions?

A: Yes, there are a variety of new romantic interactions in this expansion. Your Sims can ask for a kiss beneath the mistletoe, send love letters, use the love tester machine and even create online dating profiles!

Q: What new CAS options are introduced in this pack?

A: This expansion allows you to outfit your Sims with new styles for every season, including snow gear, swimwear, raincoats and more.  There are also new clothing options for toddlers, children, teens and elders, including new snow clothes and accessories for toddlers and new Halloween costumes for all ages. There are also a range of new hairs, featuring winter hats and the option to create completely bald Sims for the first time in The Sims 3!

1. Randomer says:

Hello SimsVIP, Will there be a Fact Sheet like Supernatural has? :)

2. SimsVIP says:

Yes. Once I get all the news article up, I will begin the fact sheet :)

3. Kaito says:

ALIENS. Thank you SimsVIP for posting this. Holy cowplant, Aliens are back. Sunburns, halloween costumes, COMPLETELY BALD SIMS?

I forgive EA for letdown expansions (Late Night, Showtime) for this. I would have been happy with just this expansion, seasons was my absolute favorite from Sims 2.

4. Jay says:

Q: What is the occult in this game?

A: The Sims 3 Seasons introduces aliens for the first time in The Sims 3. Aliens are the occult for this game, returning from The Sims 2 with some intriguing updates. Stay tuned for more info about what aliens can do in the game!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

5. This is sounding better and better the more I read… Thank you, EA! :D

6. wsidi says:

I liked the MASSIVE reveal at the end “COMPLETELY BALD SIMS!” – “FIRST TIME EVER!”

It all looks perfect!

7. Mangoesandlimes says:

Ah! Bald sims! All-age costumes! Cross-expansion compatibility! It sounds like they’ve done a wonderful job of listening to everyone!

1. Mangoesandlimes says:

Oh, you know how some of the store clothes had a special unknown category? I’ll bet there’s a costume category, which explains why a kimono and that one outfit in the store Seeing Stars set were in that category. Maybe they’re not filed nonsensically for outerwear – they could be filed under costumes!

8. Kabuto says:

Now it’s time to speculate about EP9 :P !

1. Windmill says:

University or I will die ;(

1. Jay says:

Leave me your simpoints in your will.

2. Martina says:

eurgh. There’s not so much left to ask for. is it?
      University, maybe. Wouldn’t be too psyched about that. But would buy it anyway.

9. SamualDude says:

Will there be a new neighbourhood?

1. Neon says:

nope, because they wanted to work on getting the seasons in every town :)

10. Kabuto says:

“except for the vacation worlds in The Sims 3 World Adventures.”

World Adventures is more useless than ever.

1. Joshire says:

It isn’t. If you get the traveller mod, you can go to the other neighborhoods like hidden springs and the weather will work there. This mod does not work with WA so hey, that pretty neat;)

1. Joshire says:

Without WA*

2. Darrell says:

In your opinion. I still continue to love World Adventures. To each their own.

3. Guest says:

Don’t knock it, WA is still to date, currently my Favorite EP, seeing as I have yet to play SN or SS (Really hope they get over S names). It added a lot to the game, maybe not Vacations the way players are used to, but you can take a fairly normal vacation if you ignore all the quest pop-ups. SO it doesn’t have hotels, big deal. Some parts of countries don’t either, they have weird little boarding houses (Thinking of the place in SimFrance when I say this.) Generations is good but still the most underwhelming EP of S3 so far.

4. Martina says:

Well, Who the hell would want snow on their vacation?
      i mean.. Snow in egypt. Defuck?

11. jacob says:

OMG so happy about seasons I need it I mean I litarly need it!

12. Kabuto says:

New harvest pumpkins :)

13. Talina says:

omggg for some reason this is sounding like they do have holidays because the easter egg hunting, the carving of eggs and costumes and the mistletoe are usually parts of a holiday so maybe they got it bu named it after something else???? omgshh im hoping so cuz i really wanna make my sims have xmas presents under a tree n all that jazz :)

14. Ruby Fangman says:

I hope they revamp all the harvestable plants. They all just look the same >_<

15. Mcak01 says:

NEIGHBORHOOD?! Will we get a new neighborhood EA? please?!

1. jadeisallama says:

No, there’s no new town. But personally I’m fine with that – I’d rather they spent the extra time making sure that the weather works properly with *all* towns rather than only working properly on one xP

Finally lots of new romantic interactions.

Love Letters

Ask for a kiss under the mistletoe

Online Dating

The Tender Kiss from the sims 2 is returning as you saw in the trailer.

Most likely the slowdance as well which maybe revealed tomorrow and other stuff they haven’t mentioned yet. I’d like hand holding while walking.

Now I know why they didn’t do a dating ep because their including all of that stuff here.

And mistletoes. I’ve been begging the store for years to put them in a holiday set and now I know why it didn’t happen. I’m finally getting the mistletoe I’ve been wanting in this ep. :lol:

I’m a hopeless romantic so I dig this stuff.

By the way everyone I’ve started a q and a thread in the seasons forum on the chat tomorrow so if you have any questions answer there. Sometimes they answer them from the forums.

Also I hope the chat is two hours long tomorrow since their combining it. I don’t want them to shorten the supernatural one so they can also do the seasons one. I still want to find out all I can about supernatural.

18. temptedwithbacon says:

Why aliens? what happened to the plantsims :O

19. Eddie says:

I really hope there’s a new town, I am a little doubtful about that!

Someone on the sims 3 forum suggested they might be updating Sunset Valley for this ep. It’s not really big enought to keep placing lots in. If we don’t get a new world or they don’t update SV it’s going to be very hard to place the new lots because Supernaturals lots will also be placed there.

21. jacob says:

I don’t think they are adding a new town but I don’t care really its seasons I just can’t wait to have real seasons

22. sam123 says:

So there’s no slow dance?

Yes there most likely is. It just wasn’t shown today. They may show it in the chat tomorrow.

23. lightningzap says:

im practically falling out my seat!

24. Charlie says:

Oh my gosh. I am so excited. I know I mentioned some of these ideas on the ideas forum a while back so its great to see that EA has been listening. SO EXCITED!!!

By the way one of the male shirts in the new store set today has a picture of lightning on it. Funny coinsidence?

26. caitlin says:

i wonder if there can be shark attacks

27. Illiana says:

MUST. HAVE. THIS.

28. Maja says:

I am really psyched about the blueprints! :D This EP is amazing!

1. jadeisallama says:

Me too! *Finally* my houses won’t always look like boxes! xD

29. Karu Black says:

I’m actually now excited about Seasons. From what people were telling me before I was thinking that all it was going to do was just add a couple of seasons like have it just rain or snow but this is actually extensive. I think I’m going to need to buy an external hard drive in order to keep all of my expansions. O_O

30. Tony says:

I was wondering if they will have like a blizzard or like a lot of snow falling while playing?