EA Trailer Reveals “The Sims 4 Premium” Membership

It’s no secret that EA offers incentives to players willing to pay a fee for “exclusives” via memberships, and it seems that The Sims 4 is no exception to this business practice.

In the newly released gameplay trailer, a screen in the “gallery” reveals a Sims 4 Premium Membership, along with newly revealed exclusive content that is to be offered with said membership.

“The Sims 4 Premium: Save on new packs with early access and exclusive items. Become a Premium Member to get early access to 3 new packs, with exclusive items. Your Sims can throw a spooky costume party, camp in the great outdoors, and toast to the new year in style.”

Sin título

This is not the first time we’ve seen mention of a “bundle” type subscription for the game, as a March 2014 survey also revealed possible game/content bundles for a set price. Since it is not “tradition” for The Sims to have such memberships available to players, it was brushed off as nothing more than asking price for base game editions.

sims46-1 sims5

sims44

For those who are unfamiliar with Premium Memberships from EA, head over and take a look at this example from Battlefield 4. Should a membership like this become reality in The Sims, would you be willing to pay a membership fee for early access and exclusive bonus content?

Hat Tip: SimGoodie

1. ladyschrei says:

What they seem to b offering with the custom content sounds cool, but I think it all comes down to the price and how much you’re getting out of it. If I had the money, it could possibly be something I’d consider if not for the fact I haven’t even decided if I want the base game yet. IPart of me wouldn’t do it, though, because I figure a lot of the stuff will be re-created to some extent by fans and released as free content on sites like modthesims or TS4 Gallery, if possible.

2. Leni says:

Not gonna lie, I’m a little confused by all this. So if I pay, say, $50 annually, I get an entire year’s worth of TS4 EPs, SPs and Store stuff? o_o

1. wolfsilveroak says:

You get *early access* and potentially discounted prices. You will not get the EPs/SPs entirely free.

1. Leni says:

Ah, that makes a little more sense!

1. Gabe says:

Not EPs/SPs. but DLCs :)

1. wolfsilveroak says:

“Become a Premium Member to get early access to 3 new packs, with exclusive items. ”

Definitely Stuff Packs at the very least. Otherwise, pretty sure they’d have said DLC.

3. 1234 says:

I guess some people are excited about this :) In my case, I don’t buy microtransactions. I think it’s ok that they sell decorational furniture, clothes, hairstyles and stuff like that. But what pisses me off is the fact that they sell some functional stuff that clearly belong in an expansion pack. For example: The surf station should had been part of Island Paradise. >:(

1. RandomOne says:

That’s EA for you, Money hungry, that’s all that matters to them. That’s my main frustration with EA and TS4 game. I see the cycle replaying again and it’s getting worse. It’s sad because TS4 had great potential but I just can’t trust EA nor do I feel like I’m getting my money worth, I feel more like I’m being ripped off.

2. Julianna Hopkins says:

Yes, glad I’m not the only that gets angry when they sell store content that should have been an EP! Like midnight hollow and moonlight falls like hello? Both are supernatural and both include consignment shop like objects. Not to mention they totally ripped us off with no open for business type EP if you buy all bakery,cafe,theater etc. through the store it cost at least $80 USD that should have been an $40 USD EP.

4. Donna says:

I’ve bought Sims, Sims 2, Sims 3 and now I have Sims 4 on order. If this premium membership truly offers savings, I would be interested. Right now, the description is limited. It would be like buying a pig in a poke.

5. RaptorX8 says:

Nothing I’m going to get up in arms over. Depending on how much it costs, what they offer and the amount of discounts you get, it might be worth it. Especially if you can cancel whenever you want. I used to do that on pay sim sites, pay for a month and go download crazy then cancel and sign back up again in say six months, rinse and repeat.

6. Lucy says:

Seems like EA is looking for every way possible to milk the players. I didn’t buy any store items in TS3 (except for the $10 gift card that came with the base game) and I won’t in TS4, if and when I do get the game.

Maybe it’s just me but I feel more and more like they’re gonna charge to add in toddlers and pools and not in an EP. Sad to see The Sims franchise become more and more of a money cow. :(

7. vcuicatl says:

I can’t even afford expantion packs -.-‘

8. Hashtag says:

If it’s something that I don’t really need then I don’t really mind it. I don’t buy store content at all when it comes down to it!

9. Candacis says:

I’m not going to support EA’s money making schemes, sorry. You want to pay money so that you can pay less money for their premium stuff? Don’t you know how crazy that sounds? Think long and hard about that before you sign up for something like that. The premium members are basically forced to buy a lot of premium stuff to justify their subscription fee. Don’t go that way, be smart. You won’t get stuff for free, just for reduced prices.

1. praysolace says:

Yeah, I’d rather just wait a few more months for the retail price for physical disk versions of the expansions to come down, like they always do. I’d rather do that than pay $50 for the privilege of paying probably not that much less to buy more stuff than I likely otherwise would. The only way this would be a good thing is if you have to have everything and have to have it as soon as it comes out…

10. Mason says:

…so those who buy the premium edition get early access or do we have to sign up and pay?

1. wolfsilveroak says:

This is a seperate premium membership deal. You’ll have to sign up, pay and then you’ll get early access.

11. bunbunnyny says:

The one thing I hate about this, is that undoubtedly it’s going to be forced to be digital downloads, I’m sure. I absolutely despise all of this special emphasis that they’re putting on us to purchase digital editions, I just hate it! :(

1. mmoblitz says:

That is the direction EA is going. Soon they will no longer offer physical disks and everything will go through Origin.DLC is the future for all EA games.

12. Dan says:

As long as it’s additional content and not content from the base game that they’re selling for extra, It should be ok.

13. praysolace says:

NNNNOPE.

14. Nana says:

I was wondering, cause i’m from Portugal and I want to pre-order TS4, if I pre-order in Origin, will I recieve the game on the same release day 4 September?
    Someone can answer me and help me please?

Thanks, I’m really desperated and excited to play it!
    Sorry my poor english! Happy simming everyone!

1. praysolace says:

Does Origin track regions? I think it does, and if it does, you’ll get the game on whatever the Portuguese release date is. I don’t know if that’s later or not.

1. Mel says:

Yes it does. Believe me, Origin tracks ***evvvverything***. :P

1. Nana says:

Thanks friends!!!

15. Cody says:

All that is crossing my mind right now is when Alexis was doing the review of Cas and she said “money money money” lol.

16. Lemon Lime says:

Whatever special cannot get anywhere else content is there it would be nice if it were eventually released on disk, in a collection. They can charge whatever high price for it (I might wait until sale but id get eventually) So people who like disks can buy.

I don’t like how all the content is spread out. So now you would have to buy expansions, stuffpacks, store items, and pay a subscription fee for exclusives (and discounts, but so much $$ already.)

17. Are we suppose to be surprised? lol, i never play sims 3 online but i was started to forward to the sims 4 online features but after this this ive changed my mind, im not going to waste money on stuff like that im already pressured by other things i use that want me to ‘subscribe’

18. I never use the sims 3 online stuff, i thought the sims 4 online stuff was really cool until i saw this, im not going pay for an account to get extras, im pressured enough with ‘subscribe’ with other things i use…..

19. Mel says:

I know many here are wise enough to see through the BS (which I’m happy to see). Although anyone who is defending this (aside from EA shills), and anyone seems inclined to buy this thinking it’ll be a “good deal”, please, PLEASE reconsider before spending un-godly amounts of your hard-earned money.

This is all bad news. The sole existence of this “premium option” screws all of us, whether we get it or not. You could just stick to buying micro-transactions separately, or buy into the premium membership — they’ll be getting more of your money either way. This is why the game will be light on content. You’ll have to *PAY ADDITIONALLY* to get the full experience with this business model. Anyone who doesn’t understand that… well, EA will surely love all the extra hard-earned money they shamelessly steal from you… -_-^

I’m not advocating pirating the game’s content, but this game is going to be pirated in record numbers due to all these “annoyances” and disrespectful tactics on the consumer. These sorts of disgusting business models give pirates every reason to justify what they’re doing. Greed and theft (by EA) only encourages more greed and theft (by pirates). This is an ugly, endless cycle.

20. mmoblitz says:

Is anyone thinks EA or any other company for that matter, is going to do this and not earn a profit on it, you need a reality check. EA does nothing that wont benefit them in some way.

They are already giving you a base game that is questionable in content and still charging a premium price. You know they will be adding EP/SP galore as time goes on and charging you a butt load for those and some of those will contain things that should have been in the base game. This is also a single player game now so what is the advantage of getting early access to anything? If it were a PVP type online game I could see where that might matter, but it’s not. Nobody will know or care if you get it before anyone else.

It’s just another method to get you to part with more money. For those thinking it’s great, more power to you. Your money, spend it how you like.

1. Mel says:

Wonderful points. I’m glad to see many here like you can see this for what it really is.

As you basically said, this has nothing to do with “saving money” for the player, or improving the game. It’s pure, sickening greed.

21. Mel says:

This is all bad news. The sole existence of this “premium option” screws all of us, whether we get it or not. You could just stick to buying micro-transactions separately, or buy into the premium membership — they’ll be getting more of your money either way. This is why the game will be light on content. No matter what the gamer/consumer chooses to do, we’ll all have pay ***additionally*** to get the full experience with this business model. Even if you don’t buy into any extra content, you’re then getting screwed with a very flimsy game. Anyone who understands and is okay with this… well, at least EA will surely love all the extra hard-earned money they shamelessly steal from you… -_-^

I’m *not* advocating p;rating the game’s content, but this game is going to be p;rated in record numbers due to all these “annoyances” and disrespectful tactics on the consumer. These sorts of disgusting business models give p;rates every reason to justify what they’re doing. Greed and theft (by EA) only encourages more greed and theft (by p;rates). This is an ugly, endless cycle.

22. Musewanted says:

It’s hard not to take a cynical perspective when hearing about this. This is essentially an extension of the Sims 3 store (I am surprised this didn’t happen sooner), and there will always be a market for all the additional items that the store provides. What I don’t want to see however is the incorporation of actual features that could be sold off individually. Once that sleeping dragon wakes, we could be looking at using simpoints to buy new walk-styles, careers, traits, and perhaps even entire skills/supernatural forms.

On that day (even if it isn’t until the Sims 5), I will seriously reconsider further investing in the franchise.

23. Cody says:

It is just sad to see our games piece mealed to us with dollar signs attached. What happened to the days of gaming where we got a complete gaming experience with a single price tag. Expansion packs I understand but it has just gone to far, they keep pushing the boundary line with each iteration. I dislike the feeling of being pressured into shelling out more money just to get more of a complete experience and I think many would agree.

1. mmoblitz says:

I agree Cody. This is EA’s business model for all there games. I haven’t seen yet what they are doing with Dragon Age: Inquisition which could be the last game from EA I ever buy (if it’s done well this time). I won’t be tied to any game that inserts pay walls to get a complete experience. If they want to do that, then they need to make the base game, EP/SP free and let people just pay for what they want.

I have never wanted any company or game to fail, but I’m rethinking that now.

24. Anonymous says:

They took toddlers,pools, eyelashes, open world and Create a style from me. I loved CASt!
    And now this crap. Ain’t gonna buy that shit.

I’m so disappointed in EA, I was (or am) a real sims freak, have all expansions in limited edition and stuff to sims 3, 2 and 1.

I was so excited for sims 4 at first. But it feels like when some news comes out it’s always to the bad. Even if building mode and create a sim is really cool I won’t support EA for their crappy work. Like the create a style was the It-thing when sims three came out, that was the brand new thing as well as the open world thing! But it feels like they don’t add it because they’re lazy, and the say its because it will run smoother and bla bla bla…

Soon ea will make the sims into some kind of packman game that even a old Nokia mobile phone could run with the excuse “now everybody can play it! (and we can make more money to still our addiction)”

The evolution is going backwards, I would even say sims 2 is much better than sims 4 in many aspects. And the sims 3 base game beats the crap out of the sims 4 base game.

I will probably download it illegal in some quiet protest so EA don’t get their beloved money.

25. This won’t affect me directly since I won’t be buying the game for a few months at least. It still upsets me though because the people I rely on for videos & information, the people who are loyal to EA, they’re the ones paying for this. EA knows that they can rip off intelligent people too (not just suckers) because unlike them some people care about their fans.