The Sims team has introduced Game Trials, a new “try before you buy” gimmick that allows Sims 4 players on PC and Mac to try out a game for a limited time. To kick off Game Trials, Maxis has made The Sims 4 City Living available on trial until May 3rd, 2021 at 10am PDT.
Click here to download the City Living Trial, and check out the FAQ below.
When does The Sims 4 City Living Trial take place?
The Sims 4 City Living Trial will be available between the following dates and times:
- Start: Friday, 30th April 2021 – 10:00AM PDT / 17:00 UTC
- End: Monday 3rd May 2021 – 10:00AM PDT / 17:00 UTC
During this time, you will be able to play as much City Living as you like.
What do I need to know about the City Living Trial?
There are a few prerequisites to using the City Living Trial.
- Have the most up to date version of The Sims 4 installed on your PC/Mac
- Have the most up to date version of Origin installed on your PC/Mac. EA Desktop is not currently supported by the City Living trial.
- Claim the City Living Trial through the Origin client, Origin.com or from The Sims 4 Main Menu.
Can I run the City Living Trial on my PC/Mac?
If you have the latest version of Origin and your PC or Mac meets The Sims 4 minimum and recommended system requirements then you can take part in the City Living Trial
Can I play the City Living Trial with The Sims 4 Legacy Edition?
No, while City Living is compatible with the Legacy Edition, it does not support the City Living Trial.
Can I play the City Living Trial on my PlayStation or Xbox?
At this time we are currently only supporting the City Living Trial on PC/MAC.
Can I play the City Living Trial with an EA Play subscription?
Yes. If you have an active EA Play or EA Play Pro subscription for PC, you can download The Sims 4 from Origin, claim the City Living Trial and play with the pack content.
Can I play the City Living Trial with The Sims 4 Trial?
Yes. If you do not currently own The Sims 4, you can claim the 48 hour trial from Origin and the City Living Trial and try out everything in one go.
What can I use in the City Living during the Trial?
You will be able to use every part of City Living including San Myshuno where you can discover new neighborhoods and festivals. If you are more of a creative Simmer then all of the pack content is available to you in CAS and Build mode.
Why does it ask me to Restart The Sims 4 when switching between Trial Saves and my existing Saves?
The Sims 4 will ask you if you want to restart your game so that it can include or exclude the City Living Trial from your current session.
Selecting to restart when going back to a non-trial save will keep the City Living Trial on your PC/Mac for when you want to come back to the trial later. When you want to play with City Living again, load a saved game or start a new trial save and you’ll be asked to restart the game so that City Living can be included in your session for as long as the trial is available.
Can I use my saves with the Trial?
Yes. If you want to put City Living into saved games you have already created, you can. Simply select your Save from the LOAD screen on the Main Menu and when asked if you want to PLAY WITH TRIAL? Select Yes, Start as New Trial Save. Once you do that, The Sims 4 will make a copy of your save to use with the trial and lets you save your progress without affecting your original saved game files.
I created a new Trial save based on my existing save, how do I tell the difference?
If you load an existing save while using the City Living Trial, we will copy your save and rename it for you so that it can be identified as a Trial save. Once you have loaded your save, you can hit Save to finish applying the Trial to your save game. If you do not save your session, you will still have a Trial save but it will not use City Living and you will be able to use the save without the Trial content.
What happens to my Trial Saved Games when the trial ends?
Your saves created while using the City Living Trial will still be available after the trial ends. If you choose to add City Living to your collection, you will be able to pick up where your saves left off.
The Trial has ended. Now what?
City Living will stay installed on your machine and if you purchase City Living, you will be ready to start playing with your content straight away.
- If you have decided that you do want to remove City Living Trial from your PC follow these quick steps.
- Find your The Sims 4 installation directory (Default C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\
- Look for a directory called EP03
- Select the directory, Right Click and select Delete
- This will move City Living to your Recycle Bin
- Right click on Recycle Bin and select Empty Recycle Bin to free up disk space
- If you decide to purchase City Living in the future, you will need to re-download the pack from Origin or EA Desktop.
- If you have decided that you do want to remove City Living Trial from your Mac follow these quick steps.
- Find your The Sims 4 Packs directory (usually located in the same place as The Sims 4.app, which is located in ~/Applications by default)
- Look for a directory called EP03
- Select the directory, Right Click and select Move to Trash
- This will move City Living to your Trash
- Right Click on the Trash, and select Empty Trash to free up disk space
- If you decide to purchase City Living in the future, you will need to re-download the pack from Origin