SimGuruKarskey Answers More Supernatural Questions
Posted by Sims 3 Supernatural Category

Thread Link – Thanks Aznsensei!

We’re back to answer more of your questions and this time, we’ve grouped together all your queries around advanced population options.

As you may have heard, we’re including advanced settings for controlling the population of some of the Sims types in the game, including some of the types introduced in previous expansion packs. With the new settings you’ll be able to control the population growth of: vampires, fairies, werewolves, witches, pets, horses, and celebrities. You can allow your populations to continue to grow as normal (the default) or turn population growth off completely for each of the supported Sim types. However, the control is global and cannot be configured differently for each world or saved game. Of course, you must have the appropriate expansion pack for some types to appear at all.

Check out our responses below and let us know if you still have questions. Also, we’ll be posting more responses to your questions on other topics next week. Stay tuned and keep them coming! It is great to see so many of you excited for The Sims 3 Supernatural and asking so many questions.

Advanced Demographic Options

Will we be able to determine the number of pets in the neighborhood? Mainly unicorns.

Answer – You’ll be able to control whether or not the game populates the world with horses and pets, but not specifically unicorns. Who doesn’t like unicorns?

I would like to know if a zombie population slider will be included with the rest of the sliders? In the chat celebrity sliders and vampire, werewolve, ect. sliders were mentioned, but not zombies! Sorry if this is repetitive

Answer – The population control settings are on/off checkboxes and not sliders. Zombies are not one of the Sim types that you can control from the new settings. If you are interested in having more or less zombies in your world there are other ways that their population can be effected, such as using your Sims to turn other Sims into zombies through the new “brains” interaction. Also look for zombies to appear in the world on a full moon, those zombies will be cured the following morning. Sims can also make elixirs that create or cure zombies, therefore increasing or reducing the amount that you have in the world.

Is it possible to choose different settings for amount-of-occults in every new saved game, or is it just one slider for every game?

Answer – The new population controls affect the game globally just like the other settings in the options menu and are not associated with individual saved games.

So, say that I start a new game in Bridgeport, and I set the vampire population to zero. Will the pre-made vampires stay as vampires? Or will they turn human?

Answer – Vampires that already exist in Bridgeport at the time you un-check the vampire checkbox will remain as vampires in Bridgeport, The existing vampires can still “turn” other Sims however the game will not auto populate new vampires to the world after you un-check the box.

I know that you can control Supernatural Sims and celebrities. But are PAPARAZZI going to be controllable as well, or is that not possible because they will not be part of the playable population?

Answer – You can’t directly control the paparazzi population with the new settings but there are two new options that will allow players to limit the celebrity populations in different ways, and as a result, the paparazzi that are drawn to them will be reduced. One option will allow you to prevent your active household from gaining celebrity status and the other option gives players the ability to control whether or not the game tries to maintain a balance of Sims with celebrity status in the world.

I did watch the video (not live) but would like to know it the population control will be available “without” the EP, via a patch or update? I am not planning on buying the EP but would already like to control vamp and celeb populations I already have.

Answer – The new settings will be available in the options menu if you have one of the expansion packs installed that includes one or more of the specific Sims types that are supported. The new settings will be released through a Game Update that will go out with the launch of The Sims 3 Supernatural.

1. Rubys13 says:

Aha, thanks for sharing with us! I love when he goes ‘Who doesn’t like unicorns?’ haha it makes me laugh:P I am confused on the checkboxes, if we check does this mean we don’t get any in game or only a few? I am confused on this bit.

• jadeisallama says:

I’m confused too… and slightly annoyed. I thought we could control *numbers*, not just whether or not we have tonnes of a specific occult or none at all :-\

• melanie says:

If you have a vamp and you uncheck vamps, the existing vamp still stays on the world and he can bite and turn others. What the boxes will do is that the story progression wont add new vampires to the world.

Like whenever I play Sunset Valley the game always adds one vampire to populate the world with vamps but if I uncheck the box that vamp wont be created.

I think the only world that wont be vamo free with unchecked bax is Bridgeport since there’s too many vamps there. Unless you evict all of them.

• Damienf519 says:

The same will probably be true for Moonlight Falls, since vampires will be a big feature in Supernatural, and based on what I’ve read, if you have supernatural installed, but have Late Night, you’ll still have vampires.

2. Katherine says:

I’m glad that you don’t have to buy the expansion pack to get the slider, reducer thingy. I don’t want the EP but want to limit those damn celebrities and vampires in my neighbourhoods

3. n00biito says:

This doesn’t sound like what I wanted at all. First of all this will affect ALL the worlds, all game saves. It took them THIS long to make this feature and this is the best they can come up with?!

They still give the game too much control, the entire point of the sims is that *I* am in control, the player, not this stupid storyprogession none sense.

• Max Q Baker says:

I had been looking forward the ‘number based sliders’ we had been incorrectly led to believe in by early Gurus; and agree that the checkboxes do not go far enough to actually be useful (because of the global and binary nature of them.)

But it’s still a step in the right direction; and they will help some people; and probably give modders something to work off of to improve the functionality

• jadeisallama says:

I feel the same as both of you! I really do hope modders are able to expand on this “checkbox” thing. What if I just want less vampires (not no new ones spawning at all!) or just ONE town that’s full of zombies? I s’pose that’s not going to happen now.

4. melanie says:

Yay! Im so happy for this “One option will allow you to prevent your active household from gaining celebrity status”

I hate how everyone becomes a celebrity just by befriending one. I pretty much run from celebrities lol I like them but I dont want EVERYONE being one.

• RenanCN says:

Yay! x2! I hate how quiclky my sims become celebrities too!

• Conclue says:

One of my Sims was not a celebrity AT ALL. She had a child out of wedlock and it was major news and she instantly became a 3 star celebrity.

The celebrities in the Sims seems more like a bad dream of reality turning into simulation… eg; a bunch of random sims with no jobs and no “fame” careers are celebrites. Like the Kardasians, the Mob Wives, and the other 407 reality shows on TV today.

• Pamela says:

I agree. I could have a sim who’s a complete homebody and all it takes is for them to accidently talk to a celeb sim and BAM! they’re a celeb and suddenly they have a bunch of stars. I don’t even try and my sims become celebs.

5. Amy says:

It looks like I will still be using Twallan’s Register mod to eliminate all wildlife and paparazzi. I imagine he’ll try to figure out how to eliminate the zombies as well.

• Lime says:

It’s easy to eliminate zombies, just eliminate them from the core script! Muhahahahaa! :mrgreen:

• manuel says:

register is not working in my game -.-
      i put in the right folder with several other mods, and they all function perfectly, but the game doesnt recognizes the register mod.
      can you help me, please ?

• Amy says:

You need to follow the link to Twallan’s wiki (NRAAS Industries) and post your issues there after signing up. Twallan and lots of folks are always around to help out with problems like yours! They are a great team!

6. Josh says:

all these questions are the same wish that there some non population questions.