We attended a Sims 4 Modding Masterclass during Creator’s Camp, where Darren Gyles and Lyndsay Pearson gave us some information on the current and future plans for modding in The Sims 4.
Modding: What it means in The Sims 4
Everything the community makes is astounding to us, super inspiring, and it is interesting to see what people come up with. Please continue doing it as we want to be able to encourage and foster that creativity because it’s so important to what The Sims means to everyone.
We cannot officially support and screen everything that comes out, so it is very important to us that we set up a good foundation that can help the community manage what they’re creating, and communicate to other people how to responsibly get involved in the modding and creating community.
What to expect in The Sims 4
• Directory for Mods in the user data folder.
• Custom Content Technology Document with data formats that will help creators avoid conflict with what has been done in the game. This document will be expanded on as we go along.
• Dedicated Modding Section section on The Sims 4 Official Forums for feedback, discussion, and issues.
• Game options panel contains section for mods. (Script and Non-Script)
• H Gender species and sub-types included in the data format with some of them defined
• Sims 4 coding written in Python
• Package files will not attach to creations when uploaded
• The .ini file will be available to everyone just like it is in The Sims 3