Maxis has officially announced that they will be ending support for Non-Metal Mac OS and 32-bit operating systems this June. This means if you do not have a supported computer, you will not be able to play with any new content released after February 2019.
Windows Operating Systems
Maxis confirmed that the upgrade in June will only support 64-bit operating systems. This means if you are running The Sims 4 on a 32-bit PC, your computer will not be supported.
Here’s how to check which version your PC is currently running:
- Click the start button on Windows
- Right Click on “This PC” or “My Computer”
- Select Properties
- The bit version is listed under “System Type”
- Click here for alternate ways to view this info
If the system type reads 32-bit or x32 your computer will not be supported. Once the update to the game is complete, you will have to upgrade your system, or continue playing with The Sims 4 Legacy Edition. If the system type reads 64-bit ot x64, you computer is supported and will not be affected.
Mac Operating Systems
Metal is a graphics and compute technology built into macOS, iOS, and tvOS. It allows the main processor (CPU) and graphics processor (GPU) to work together more effectively, providing more fluid graphics performance in games, and accelerating high-performance media apps. The following Macs all support Metal:
- MacBook models introduced in 2015 or later
- MacBook Air models introduced in 2012 or later
- MacBook Pro models introduced in 2012 or later
- Mac mini models introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac models introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac Pro (all models)
- Mac Pro models introduced in late 2013, plus mid-2010 or mid-2012 models with a recommended Metal-capable graphics card.
For additional info and help with The Sims 4 on Mac, check out BlueBellFlora’s Blog.
Computer not supported?
If your current computer will not be compatible and supported after the update in June, you will need to upgrade to one that is supported. If this is not an option for you, Maxis will be releasing The Sims 4 Legacy Edition for players on unsupported computers.
Keep in mind though that this version of the game will only include content and updates released between September 2, 2014 and February 26, 2019. This version of the game will not receive any future updates or DLC released after February 26th.