The Sims team has announced that they will be ending support for Non-Metal Mac and 32-bit operating systems. In an announcement post made this week, they have detailed the information for players who are running the game on affected computers.
Click here to check your computer for compatibility with this change
Today we are announcing some changes to the supported specifications for The Sims 4™ on PC and Mac. As of June 2019, we will no longer support The Sims 4 on Non-Metal Mac OS machines or PC 32-bit Operating Systems.
Apple has announced plans to phase out support for graphics processing technology called OpenGL and will be moving to a new technology known as Metal. Due to this change, we will upgrade The Sims 4 to work with Metal. For those that cannot upgrade to a Metal supporting OS, The Sims 4™: Legacy Edition will be made available to you. Please see the FAQ below.
This update will also retire support for 32-bit Operating Systems. We regularly evaluate our technologies, and to continue growing, improving, and optimizing the game, we have made the decision to retire 32-bit support. If you are a PC player who cannot update to a 64-bit OS, The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will be made available to you. Please see FAQ below.
We want to thank all Simmers who have played or are still playing The Sims 4.
The Sims 4: Legacy Edition FAQ
- Where can I get The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?
- The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will be available in June 2019. If you are an existing The Sims 4 owner, we will have instructions on this page which will walk you through the steps to get your copy of The Sims 4: Legacy Edition when it is released. The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not be made available to new players.
- When will this change happen and when will The Sims 4: Legacy Edition be available?
- This change is tentatively planned for June 2019. If there are any changes to the planned June date, we will update it.
- Will The Sims 4 on my Non-Metal Mac OS be automatically updated to the legacy version?
- No, you will need to download The Sims 4: Legacy Edition. To find out if your Mac supports Metal, please check here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073
- Will The Sims 4 on my 32-bit OS PC be automatically updated to the legacy version?
- No, you will need to download The Sims4: Legacy Edition.
- Will The Sims 4: Legacy Edition receive any additional content or bug fixes in the future?
- No, The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not receive any more content or bug fixes.
- Will any online features still work in The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?
- The Gallery, game banners, and social integrations will be disabled. The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not display or allow any purchases of content released after February 2019.
- What Stuff Packs, Game Packs, and Expansion Packs can I play using The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?
- You will be able to purchase and play all Stuff, Game and Expansion packs released between September 2, 2014 and February 26, 2019. This includes Luxury Party Stuff Pack, Perfect Patio Stuff Pack, Cool Kitchen Stuff Pack, Spooky Stuff Pack, Movie Hangout Stuff Pack, Romantic Garden Stuff Pack, Kids Room Stuff Pack, Backyard Stuff Pack, Vintage Glamour Stuff Pack, Bowling Night Stuff Pack, Fitness Stuff Pack, Toddler Stuff Pack, Laundry Day Stuff Pack, My First Pet Stuff Pack, Outdoor Retreat Game Pack, Spa Day Game Pack, Dine Out Game Pack, Vampires Game Pack, Parenthood Game Pack, Jungle Adventure Game Pack, StrangerVille Game Pack, Get Together Expansion Pack, Get To Work Expansion Pack, City Living Expansion Pack, Cats & Dogs Expansion Pack, Seasons Expansion Pack and Get Famous Expansion Pack. Content released after February 2019 will require you to upgrade your system.
- Will custom content still work with The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?
- It will be up to the custom content or mod developer to decide to support their custom content for both The Sims 4 and The Sims 4: Legacy Edition.
- Will there be different versions of The Sims 4: Legacy Edition for Non-Metal Mac OS and 32-bit PC OS?
- There will be one version of The Sims 4: Legacy Edition that you will be able to download.
- Will my save files still work in The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?
- Yes, save files will still work with The Sims 4: Legacy Edition. Instructions on “how to” will be published once The Sims 4: Legacy Edition is released.