❗ See our Sims 4 Island Living Game Guide for more information on the game
Mermaids are the newest occult life state that come with the Island Living Expansion. No Sim is more connected to the sea than Mermaids. They might seem like an average Sim on land, but when they are in water, they reveal their fishy, scaly tail. They also have special powers that set them apart from human Sims.
The Sims 4 Island Living adds the new “Mermaid” life state. Aside from being able to find Mermaids throughout the game, and turning into one as you play, players can also use the new “Create-a-Mermaid” feature in CAS to make a Mermaid family immediately.
❗ Only Sims aged Teen-Elder can become Mermaids.
Both “sides” of a Mermaid can look the same by using the “Copy Mermaid Form to Sim” and “Link/Unlink Sim Form with Mermaid Form” options to carry over their looks.
❗ The Mermaid Form is not optional, so you will not be able to have Mermaids walk around with a fin when they’re not in water, nor will you be able to have them swim in the water without a fin. With the exception of the lower half of their body (shoes, pants, fin, etc), the Mermaid Form can be customized separately from the Sim form.
Becoming a Mermaid
Mermaids can be created directly from Create-a-Sim, but a human Sim can become one if they desire by consuming the special Mermadic Kelp. Mermadic Kelp can be obtained in a number of ways. The easiest way of obtaining it is by purchasing it in the Rewards Store for 500 Satisfaction Points. Mermadic Kelp will appear in the Sim’s inventory.
❗ Mermadic Kelp can also be found through other means like fishing, diving for treasure, requesting a dolphin retrieve treasure, and exploring the cave in Mua Pel’am.
❗ MerSims can also produce Mermadic offspring. If two Mermaids Try for a baby, the baby will have Mermadic powers once they become Teens. If Only one parent is a mermaid, there’s a 50/50 chance of the offspring becoming a Mermaid.
Once you have a Mermaid in the family, you’ll need to care for their needs. In lieu of a hygiene need, Mermaids have the Hydration Need. Showering, bathing, swimming, and drinking water, can all fulfill this need and keep Mermaids happy.
Mermaid Powers and Abilities
Mermaids are able to do more in the ocean than human sims. They can sleep on the water, interact with sea life, dive in deep water without scuba diving gear, call other Mermaids by blowing into a conch shell, and swim really fast. Mermaids are limited in some aspects, though. For instance, they cannot snorkel at buoys, and they get sad when they eat a fish or view a mounted fish on the wall. What Mermaid would want to eat their friends?!
The following powers and interactions are available through Mermaids:
- Mermaid’s Kiss (-30 Hydration Points) – This will give the receiving Sim a +1 Happy “Aquatic Breath” moodlet.
- Aquatic Lure (-30 Hydration Points) – This action can be performed at fishing spots to increase the quality of fish.
- Summon Ocean Threat (-30 Hydration Points) – This will cause a dark cloud to form under a Sim while they are in the ocean, which will pull them down under the water. This will give the receiving Sim a +3 Uncomfortable “Deep Sea Entity” moodlet, and might even cause them to drown to death.
- Siren’s Lullaby…
- Aegean’s Question (-30 Hydration Points) – This will give the receiving Sim a +2 Tense moodlet.
- Charmer’s Lullaby (-30 Hydration Points) – This will give the receiving Sim a +2 Flirty moodlet.
- Inspiring Berceuse (-30 Hydration Points) – This will give the receiving Sim a +2 Inspiring moodlet
- Night’s Requiem (-30 Hydration Points) – This will give the receiving Sim a +2 Sad moodlet.
With the Seasons expansion pack, Mermaid Sims can also affect the weather.
- Call Clear Skies (-75 Hydration Points)
- Call Rainstorm (-75 Hydration Points)
- Call Thunderstorm (-75 Hydration Points)
Mermaids also have additional abilities while in the ocean.
- Call Over Azure Dolphin (-30 Hydration Points)
Lastly, Mermaids tend to befriend dolphins easier than other Sims. Once they get to know a dolphin better, they might become soulmates.
Becoming a Human
If a Mermaid decides that the Mermaid lifestyle is not for them, they can change into a human by consuming two pieces of Mermadic Kelp. After eating the first piece of Mermadic Kelp, the Mermaid will receive a 4-hour +1 “Heightened Sensations” moodlet. Once the moodlet is activated, Mermaids who eat a second piece will transform into a human and lose their special powers.