Island Paradise Patch: Move Sims to a New Town

In today’s Island Paradise preview, Platinum Simmers revealed that The Sims 3 Island Paradise patch will include the ability to switch towns. For 20,000 simoleons, your Sims can start a brand new life, in a brand new town. Yes, you can move to a new town!

A note from SimGuruGraham:

I made absolutely sure that moving between towns won’t continually bloat your save file size. It’s quite literally a full move; we aren’t retaining the information from your previous towns, so consider it as a way for your Sims to wipe the slate clean and start a fresh life in a new town. The game will warn you as to which information is saved and what’s wiped clean when moving to a new town.

Moving between worlds isn’t the same as exporting a family. We save more information like how old your family is, the current season, etc.

TS3W-2013-05-29-16-00-48-43

1. James says:

Thats awesome, but what do they mean by “how old the family is”? All I really am concerned about is that the family tree isn’t erased, can someone tweet at SimGuruGraham and ask him this?

1. Canadianforlife says:

They mean the age of your Sims wont change.

2. Libra_Style says:

I like this feature but I’m also concerned about it…it doesn’t well put together in my mind yet….

3. Deshong says:

I want to be able to visit/vacation in other worlds and that is the MAIN feature I would want at least before TS3 ends.

Moving sims/families from one town to another and losing all previous relationships does not sound fun at all. I just hope TS4 is way better and there will be opportunities to move/visit and still retain all old/past relationships. And sims can visit each other back and forth if they want. In fact I even would love to have my sims to be able to work long distance than always local.

I’m not sure if I would personally find this feature useful or not yet. I did want to move some family members to different neighborhoods but then they would lose all familial connections and it’s not like they can visit each other and keep in touch anyway like in real life.

1. Goody says:

I agree… I want to be able to vacation and move my household to other worlds without losing the friends and families.

1. Steph says:

considering too if sims go to WA and come back they keep the friendship and just call the overseas sim to chat or text and invite the WA sims to come for a visit so i don’t see why that could not be extended to moving sims from one world to another …unless that is the bloat of the file they are talking about ?

1. Goody says:

That’s true Steph. It could too much for the game.

1. lkandak says:

If you wanna go vacation at custom worlds which you made or downloaded you can do that with NRaas Traveler, it’s pretty awesome! You can then go on a vacation to say Riverview while living in Bridgeport etc. ;) You can also have a super long vacation by pausing the time in the vacation world and have your sim ‘live’ there and still be able to call their old friend etc. The thing is that they won’t really ago though… The other NRaas mods are pretty great too.

2. dallas12 says:

I agree I don’t want to lose my family and friends

2. Julia says:

I agree! I really wish we could keep family tree and friends when moving towns and it would be amazing to be able to vacation in these other towns or with the option of buying a house in each town that would be soo cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really really really hope they fix it because I LOVE this game!!!!!!

4. Brocolli Man says:

GREAT IDEA!!!!!! Now let’s hope it doesn’t bug the game TOO much.

5. wzw1177 says:

Great! But this feature really comes a bit late.

6. kateze1997 says:

yaya! this will be cool :D

7. Georgia says:

I’m so exicted for this update. I think that it may have been released a bit late, with The Sims 4 coming out in just a years time, however it is going to be a great addition to my game. Just out of curiosity, does anybody know when this patch will be released? Obviously it’s the patch to go along with Island Paradise, so I assume it’ll be released within the next week or so. But if anybody could possibly tell me if they know a determined date for release then that would be much appriciated! Thank you :)

8. Ferrin says:

Well, just patched my game. First pop up asked if I wanted to move. Went through with the whole process, in hopes I’d soon be off to Moonlight Falls. It asked me to save yadyadayada and the action was in the queqe
    And it bounced off. Simply did nothing. I’m investigating now…

1. Cairi says:

Same thing happened to me. Quite irritating.

2. Olivia says:

Same for me too. I can still play with my family, but they haven’t moved towns. I can’t save either bc it says they’re moving. But they aren’t moving! :(

1. Finn says:

I’m stuck here too. It says they’re moving, but they’re not. Have you found a way to get out of this loop?

1. Lala says:

I’m having the same prob… there still isn’t a fix for this? Or am I not looking in the right areas?

1. Carly says:

I am having the same problem as well! I came home from the University, and tried to save and it says I was traveling. It’s been 5 Sim Days and it still won’t let me. I got a new job, bought an additional home. Is there nothing I can do?

9. Janice says:

Every time I try to move my sim family to a new town the game crashes :(

10. Marceline says:

So wait, if i were to make my sims move towns, would all there skill points and household items be lost, or just the relashonships of those who didnt move? Im super counfused!

11. Daniëlle says:

hi,

i like the new patch but i have a question?? when you move to another world, do you keep your job?
    because i have a very high career but i dont want to lose it when i’m moving!
    bye….

1. RareRascal225 says:

ive been wondering that too.. and when they move do they lose their family who already lives in that town??

2. Kiki says:

You will keep your job if your place of employment exists at the town you are moving to.

1. Sara says:

I moved from dragon valley to isla paradiso and all of my sims lost their jobs (they were a policeman, an astronaut and a teacher) :(

12. Naeramarth says:

I wonder what happens to lots and businesses my sims purchased. Do they get sold? What about houses I bought abroad? I tend to keep everything i gathered there, would I loose it too?

13. Anjali says:

I was all ready to move to a new town and i accepted all the options, Then it told me to save the game and I did but it didnt move towns. Now it isn’t letting me move towns. It says My household cannot move towns at this moment!

14. Hayley says:

Well I recently updated my game and a pop-up came up asking me if I wished to move my family to another town, and I said yes.
    So while waiting I realized my household.. Did nothing.
    Now it’s stuck like this, and I can’t move them or anything.
    Does anyone know a fix..?

15. Kaitlin says:

So the family tree is erased I know this for sure. But for example if you were to put your sims parents into the same household and move to a new neighbourhood then they would still be your parents. But what if you had dead relatives? If you bring their gravestones with you when you move would they still be in your family tree?

1. Sara says:

someone should try that… im very dissapointed that the family tree is erased, it makes it pointless for me because i love making generations :( bringing the gravestones is my only hope although. If someone has done that, please tell me if it works. :)

16. benlo77 says:

If you put the gravestones in your inventory,, the family tree will be save !

17. Ron says:

I hope the sims 4 will have travel more connected. I also hope that they have bodyguards for star sims!

18. Hollywood says:

I hope they have bodyguards in sims 4 as well! That will be awesome! I also hope there’s a way for you to become a billionaire!

19. Hollywood says:

Also in the sims 4 they need to add everything from 1,2, and 3 and not take essential things out to add new stuff

20. Jules says:

One thing that is annoying me like crazy is that I spend so much time buying property and upgrading them to 3, changing lots, etc. Making my house the way I like it. Then when I move to another town and come back it’s all gone. All those hours of working on the resorts, etc.

It used to be that if you moved to another town and came back, it looked the same. I don’t care about keeping relationships – it’s about all the hours logged making the town the way I like it.

Will Sims 4 fix that or are we stuck just redoing what we already did?

I have gotten to the point that I copy all my resorts and lots I created and just do the “edit town” thing to put them back.