The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection: Increase Resolution Guide
Posted by Sims 2

Play in Higher Resolution

Hi everyone! With the recent release of The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Origin for owners of The Sims 2 Simmers have been reporting issues with their resolution being stuck at 800×600. We have written a guide for you so that you can increase the resolution to your native screen size.

THIS GUIDE REQUIRES YOU TO EDIT GAME FILES – BACK UP THESE FILES IN A SAFE PLACE BEFORE YOU EDIT ANYTHING!

STEP 1 – In order to change the resolution for your game you will need to locate GraphicRules.sgr in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config.

BACK UP this file somewhere safe! Either to a USB stick or in My Documents!!

STEP 2 – Open GraphicRules.sgr. (If it asks you to select a program to open it with select NotePad)

The first thing that you are going to want to do is “tell” the game to allow you to use higher settings. The Sims 2 often forces the game to play in only low settings if it can’t recognise a graphics card, which will be almost everyone now due to the newer cards since The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden first released.

STEP 3 – Near the top of this file you will find the following lines: “seti Low 1″ “seti Medium 2″ and “seti High 3″. These tell the game which default mode to start in and in some cases it will prevent you from changing options in the game. Change “seti Low 1″ and “seti Medium 2″ to “seti Low 3″ “seti Medium 3″. This will tell the game to use the “high” settings within this file.

You should now see it looking from this:
bandicam 2014-07-20 16-29-45-799

to it looking like this:
bandicam 2014-07-20 16-29-38-640

Now that you have told the game to let you use higher settings it’s time to change those resolutions.

STEP 4 – Press Ctrl+F to open the Find box and enter this line in (without any spaces and quotes) “ScreenModeResolution” then click Find Next.

bandicam 2014-07-20 16-15-25-199

This will take you to the required section. What you see will look like this:

bandicam 2014-07-20 16-16-06-411

This section is what allows your game to play in different resolutions. Depending on your monitor resolution you may want to have different settings. I play on a 1080×1920 monitor so the settings I am demonstrating are based on that, if you have higher or lower resolutions sizes, adjust it to your own settings. From here you will want to edit “uintProp maxResWidth” and “uintProp maxResHeight”. These two options are what tells the game which resolution mode to play in.

STEP 5 – Edit “uintProp maxResWidth” to 1920 and “uintProp maxResHeight” to 1080 in all four sections so you see something that looks like this:

bandicam 2014-07-20 16-19-43-697

And that’s all you need to do in this file! Hit Save and exit the file then open the game up. Once you have entered a Neighborhood go to the Options then Graphics/Performance Options.

bandicam 2014-07-20 16-56-42-145

STEP 6 – You should now see that in the Screen Size settings you have many more options! Select the desired size and hit Apply Settings. You are now able to play in a larger screen size. Have fun! :D

bandicam 2014-07-20 16-54-04-290

1. jasper says:

i don’t think I have these graphic problems, but every time i open the game it loads pretty well and looks good, but then it gets stuck on the blue starting screen because there’s no ‘play’ button? what am i supposed to do?

1. Iantje says:

Same here…

1. acm says:

Just wait a long time. A looong time. It seems frozen, but for me it eventually kicked in. Get a book.

1. jasper says:

Goodness, well does that mean there’s no fix for it at all?

1. pwjc says:

I found on my first load, it took about ten minutes loading to get all the expansions initialized. Unless your screen is completely blue with nothing else on it (for ten minutes or so, completely blue does happen occasionally for brief moments, particularly if you minimize the game), it’s fine. It’s just loading expansions and stuff that it’s never loaded before.

You might also hit a few screens before you first enter a neighborhood that tell you things from different packs that aren’t in that hood yet that it’s initializing (magic, apartments, etc).

2. Squark says:

I believe a lot of that is just a first time thing- The game has to get all the stuff in order (TS2 does have an awful lot of content). You may still have long loading times, but they’ll be less extreme in the future.

2. I had the exact same problem… so I left my game on the loading screen all night (maybe I exaggerated a bit… :P) and when I arrived in the morning it loaded and now when I start it up it loads fast.

2. Kami says:

For some reason my computer won’t let me save the file, saying Access is Denied.

1. That’s because you have the game installed in the default location somewhere under “Program Files (x86)”. This directory is protected by UAC (user account control) on Windows Vista/7/8. Open your text editor with admin privileges (right-click) or install the game to a different location to avoid the UAC check.

2. Lonewolf22113 says:

simply run the game as admin

3. Amanda says:

I don’t have anything in my origin games folder? which is odd cause I have the sims 2 UC and have been playing it today, and it’s a blank folder so I cannot proceed with any of these tips. :(

1. Max says:

its installed somewhere else, go into origin click the origin tab -> application settings -> advanced and see what folder it installed it to.

4. Finn says:

i’ve been following the steps as correctly as i can for this tutorial and the one on leefish by kiri but the thing is, i can’t even find the graphicsrule.srg file at all. it doesn’t show up for me or at least i can’t find it and searching for it in the search bar doesn’t help either. i can’t proceed with the other steps because of this. where can i find it?

1. Finn says:

nevermind, i figured it out!! sorry about that, i guess i just wasn’t looking hard enough. c:

5. Nakatomi Uk says:

Says it now cant find any DX9 graphics adapters and all I did was change what you did

6. Kryszard says:

Guys can you help me? I have white faces with red cross and blue writing on it, what can i do? (my comp is gtx 570, core i5, 8 gb ram)

7. RM says:

I followed the instructions described above and I’m now playing the game at 1920×1080 but now there’s a black box underneath all sims and I can’t adjust shading in the menu as access is denied (options are grayed out just like the screen shot shown in your instructions). How can I fix this?

1. BreeMiles says:

I changed my to 1920×1080 and also have the black box underneath my sims!! Can someone help with this fix. As far as not being able to access the shading opt. menu. Just add your sim to the neighborhood and then you will have that option box!

8. Diana says:

How long did it take to load for you guys? Mine took 2 hours until i finally gave up. Never fully loaded.

1. t says:

5mins lol

9. zaiver says:

If it does not recognize your video card, just skip step 3 that the problem disappears.

10. Amanda says:

I figured out what my problem was, it wasn’t located in origin games for me, but instead the Electronic Arts folder and from there I went to the sims 2 collection. And followed the instructions.

11. Hana-chan says:

If you don’t want to fiddle with the program files, you can just resize the screen resolution in game. The bad news is that every time you log in you’ll have to do it, or if you Alt+Tab during game play, you’ll have to go for the default resolution 800×600 and then rezise the one you want. Closest to 1980×1080 seems to be 1440×900. A little troublesome but works fine. :)

12. Ziggy says:

Everything is well for me except for when I go to create a sim my game always crashes pls help

13. Andemon says:

The above resolution work around doesn’t work for me and my Radeon hd 7850 :( Guess I’m just going to have to deal with 800 x 600

14. Eve says:

I have like clothing glitch when i wanna make a family.. :/ its like u got some clothes on but u look naked.. idk what to do.. im not a pro in those things.maybe some ideas? :/ ty!

15. BreeMiles says:

Ok so what program am I to hit CTRL+F in because when I do it nothing happens no find box comes up?

1. BreeMiles says:

Never mind I just found it!

2. BreeMiles says:

Now I have black box back underneath my sims after applying the fix for the screen res. 1920×1080! Any fix for that or do I just need to reset my res. again?

1. BreeMiles says:

So I put settings back as they were before in step 3 and left the rest of the steps changed to the way you had them in each step. So if you change your screen Resolution with these steps and get the black box back, just go and change step 3 back to the first option. You still have the screen res. of 1920×1080 and the black box is gone!Thank You Sims VIP for all you do for us new folk!

16. Natasha says:

Man, I LOVE the internet – and YOU! Thank you so much for this, you’ve just made me a very happy simmer :D

17. Hel says:

Hey! I was having troubles getting my game to run on high resolution, despite this guide. I simply googled “sims 2 ultimate edition high resolution” and found this : http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with

This little tool will probably help you!

1. SimplySimazing says:

THANK YOU!
      OMG, it’s amazing! @.@
      Never played S2 on HD before, lol!

And a million thanks to the creator of that program!!! :D

18. HoodsUp says:

I have no neighborhood to choose from. I tried the system locale fix and the regedit fix but they both do not work. Help me please!

19. NeVeR says:

I also have the same problem. No neighborhood, hence, couldn’t play the game. Please help!

20. Tiana says:

I have a 1366×768 resolution. I’m not a computer person so can someone tell me how to adjust my settings for the sis 2 to work with that?

21. shylang says:

OMGosh Thank you so much! and TIANA: I have the same 1366×768 I followed his directions just the same. The game will start with the 1020 scroll down and you’ll see your resolution just click on that and it will adjust =)

22. Sophie says:

I followed these instructions and then when it comes to saving it it says I don’t have permission to save in this location and would I like to save it to my documents instead?

23. Shaun says:

Okay, so I don’t have any of the “Sims 2″ games, just Sims 3. Anyways, My friend, gave me the code to get the “Sims 2 Ultimate Collection”. So I have it downloaded, and everything look fine, the game starts up, and then I click a world to play in. Then, as I start to create a family, I input my Family’s last name, and then click to create a Sim. Once I do, it takes a while to load, and then crashes. It has different errors. For example, (one which was very repetitive)
    – Sims 2 EP9 not responding
    The other one which pop up are:
    – The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff:
    “The application has crashed. The application will now terminate.”
    Can someone help me with this? Please, and thank you. c:

24. Lus says:

I’m having the same EXACT problem as Shaun mention. Down to the very letter. I downloaded it from Origin and I’ve been looking up solutions everywhere to no avail. I’ve tried re-installing it, ran it as administer, changed compatibility settings to Vista and Win7- everything, yet it never fails to crash while creating a sim or if i’m lucky enough to get past that part, it crashes when I try to enter a household and then that “Mansion and Garden Stuff” pops up.

I have no previous Sims games on my laptop if that makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated..

1. julie says:

I kept getting the same thing. After two hours chatting with EA, they informed me that The Sims 2 isn’t compatible with WINDOWS 8. You MIGHT be able to fix it by right clicking on the icon and going to “properties”. Then select the compatibility tab and check the box next to “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select Windows XP from the drop down menu. I don’t know if that works, as for some reason my properties tab doesn’t have that tab. If you DO have that tab in your Sims 2 properties, that might fix the issue. Good luck!

1. Syl says:

Ahh man, so The Sims 2 is completely incompatible with Sims 2? That’s such a shame but I guess now I know why nothing has worked after trying absolutely everything. I have Windows 8.1 and I’ve ran the game in different compatibility modes, ran as admin, updated my video card but the game just isn’t having it :(

1. julie says:

Yes, I was disappointed too. So disappointed that I’m digging up one of my old laptops so I can download it on that instead. Not ideal although I suppose it’s better than nothing, right?

25. Taenkaka says:

Tack de funkade jätte bra för mig så nu äntiligen har ja de i rätt upplösning:)

26. dazinger says:

not sure if this posted here yet, but you can also try this as a possible solution without having to alter the config file manually

just follow the instructions there, should be pretty easy. if it doesn’t work then just stick with this guide. good luck! :-)

27. dirk says:

Thank you for this.

28. jj says:

Excellent Thankyou :)

29. Rachel says:

Followed your instructions for the low resolution issues and it worked like a charm. Thanks so much for your help.