The Simming community still has a genuine love for The Sims 2. The nostalgic pastime still has a thriving active community, so it’s no secret that players want the game available on Origin again. One search on Twitter and you’ll find a plethora of players begging EA to bring The Sims 2 back to Origin and make it available for download again.
A complete collection of The Sims 2 on Origin, that has been optimized for modern hardware would SELL. And it would sell very WELL. The Sims 2 community is still very alive. There is a whole generation of simmers who havent had a chance to own it.
— explaining Justin (@LitrallyAJ) February 15, 2021
Who said they don’t want the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Origin WHO DO I HAVE TO FIGHT pic.twitter.com/bHdvMxNjX8
— tom (@simshive) February 13, 2021
Sims 2 on origin plz <3
\ (•◡•) /
|_ |_ https://t.co/ROO9WAhTKW
— ✨ (@DroopySims) February 14, 2021
There is literally no excuse to not have sims 2 on origin. It's not like they only sell mass effect 3 and Andromeda because they're more recent. They still sell fifa 15 to 19. They sell theme hospital and SimCity 2000 for gods sake. They were able to remaster c&c so why not sims?
— GeorgeSims ♦️️ (@GeorgeSimsYT) February 16, 2021
— sims colour wheel (@Sims_ColorWheel) February 15, 2021
Players have started demanding the game be brought back to Origin again, even if they have to buy it. It was made available for short period of time via customer support, but was completely stopped years later. Let’s take a stroll down memory lane to get you up to speed on The Sims 2’s history on Origin and what brings us to this point today…
- On July 15th, 2014 EA announced that they will discontinue tech support for The Sims.
- On July 22nd, 2014 EA officially ended technical support for The Sims 2.
- On July 23rd, 2014, EA made The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection available for free to players who already owned the entire game collection in Origin. This version of the game was an “all-in-one” code that replaced the individual games.
- On March 22nd, 2015, Redditors confirmed that Origin was still giving out the code to players, despite the “one week” limited time offer back in July 2014.
- On June 7th, 2015, Game Developer Aspyr Media announced The Sims 2 Super Collection for purchase to Mac players for $9.99. (Mac players can still purchase The Sims 2 Super Collection today for $29.99).
- On November 1st, 2017 Maxis released a game update for The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection to permanently remove SecuROM from the game.
- On April 25th, 2018, Maxis released a new game patch for The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection giving the game better optimization for Windows 10.
- On October 15th, 2018 EA announced they were permanently ceasing all free copies of The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and would no longer provide them to any players. They cited a lack of support to handle all the game requests and told players to consider purchasing and playing The Sims 3, The Sims 4, or The Sims Mobile.
Fast forward to yesterday, and the EA Help Desk confirmed that EA and Maxis have no plans to release The Sims 2 on Origin. In response to a player who asked them to make The Sims 2 available on Origin, the EA Help Desk stated the following:
With that statement, EA has officially confirmed that they have no plans to release the game anytime soon, if ever again. Does the squeaky wheel always get the grease?
Only time will tell.