EA has been actively looking to recruit individuals for an “exciting new game in the best-selling Sims franchise”. In a recently closed job posting, EA lays out some requirements and additional details about this new team that is “growing rapidly”.
Character Modeler– Maxis
Maxis is looking for an Character Modeler for an exciting new game in the best-selling Sims franchise. Do you have excellent modeling and texturing abilities for games? Do you have a passion for creating real-world fashion in a 3D game? Are you able to take direction but work independently when needed to make the best games you possibly can? If so, then we may have a job for you. We’re a small team now and are growing rapidly. Apply today and join us!
- Create, model, UV, and texture fashion assets such as t-shirts, jeans, jackets, shoes, etc. in a realistic style to a high level of aesthetic quality.
- Participate in meetings with producers, designers, engineers and animators to understand the functional requirements and constraints of characters and how they need to be created.
- Participate in reviews with the Art Director to improve aesthetic consistency and overall look.
- Should be knowledgeable and comfortable in the creation and use of normal maps, specular maps, and generating AO maps.
- Trouble shoot and problem solve assets that are not functioning properly in game. Coordinate with animators and engineers to resolve issues quickly and efficiently.
- Provide project management team with accurate estimates for scheduling work and deadlines
- Be able to come up with concepts and provide basic concept art for some fashion in conjunction with the Art Director.
- Excellent modeling and texturing skills on clothing assets
- 3+ years modeling experience using Maya for game development
- Strong technical abilities and understanding of game development pipeline issues including a clear understanding of how art creation affects engine performance
- Be able to follow art direction and work from concept art when available
- Creative thinker and problem solver that can work independently if necessary
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work effectively with producers, designers, engineers as well as other artists.
- Well organized and able to commit to and meet deadlines.
- PC Game development experience required
- Understanding of fashion & clothing construction is a plus
- Understanding of basic animation and how animators work is a plus.
- Understanding and familiarity with rigging in Maya preferred
- A portfolio demonstrating the following is required:
- Excellent 3D models in Maya
- Excellent Texturing and UV skills
- Ability to create low-mid poly models consistently
- Traditional drawing and painting skills
- Strong aesthetic sensitivity to lighting for form and shadow
- Excellent sense of scale and composition in 3D
As you can see in the listing above, EA is requiring applicants to create fashion assets that have a “realistic style” to a “high level of aesthetic quality”. They also state that “PC Game development experience” is required, which makes this more likely to be a type of spin-off PC game, or the next installment of The Sims for PC.
In addition to the above job listing that absolutely confirms that a new game for The Sims Franchise is underway, they are also looking to fill the following roles:
- Executive Producer/Game GM – This role specifically states the Executive Producer will be required to “develop the creative center of the game” and should “grow the game into a successful franchise capable of multiple versions.”
- Software Engineer – This role specifically states that applicants will be required to “architect, implement, and maintain user-facing content for the Sims”, in addition to implementing gameplay systems like “Sim Behaviors, Romance, Careers, and Postures”.
There are other job openings for Maxis listed on the EA Careers site, but they do not give any indication of whether or not they are for the current (or future) teams at Maxis.
Either way, the few specific job listings have given us plenty of confirmation that Maxis is moving forward with a new game. Until we learn more about this new game, players can look forward to at least 3 more years of content for The Sims 4.
Hat Tip: Sammy and PattonPlays